History
Course
CAS HI 338
Professor
Michael Holm
Semester
Spring

Description
February 18   th The Election of Eisenhower & the Rise of Moderate Conservatism I. WWII & the GOP a. Interwar i. even though Republicans presided over the White House for much  of that time, they tried repeatedly to scale back presidential power ii. protection of business which would hypothetically lead to  prosperity for all iii. more and more privatization  iv. things go “quite well” until 1929 b. 1930s & the New Deal i. Roosevelt pioneers the idea of a “full scale political assault”  instead of passing legislation piecemeal ii. turned around the trends of the interwar period and reinvigorated  the office of the president with power and control II. The Rise of the Moderates & Lessons of 1946 a. FDR’s Death i. while causing political chaos, Roosevelt’s death also gives the  party an opportunity to decide how they want to move forward –  who, in essence, they wish to be b. the 1946 Republican midterm election success caused the leadership under  Robert Taft to seek significant dismantlement of many of FDR’s policies i. running on a series of “scale­backs”: reducing the size of  the military, drawing the federal government out of foreign policy ii. smaller government ii. Henry Cabot Lodge and others warned that the nation and the  world had changed and there could be no return to pre­Depression  Republican ideals i. calls for America to take global leadership ii. further reliance and support in the United Nations iii. more progressive outlook on conservatism III. Drafting Eisenhower a. Background i. career soldier; Allied Commander on D­Day; 1  governor of U.S.  occupation zone in Germany ii. briefly retired to be president of Columbia University iii. Stretegic Allied Commander of Europe for NATO b. was concerned about America’s post­war fate and polled well, but had no  interest in politics and did not align himself to either party c. is repeatedly courted by both Republicans and Democras due to his high  popularity IV. The Election of 1952 a. Dewey’s defeat in 1948 is greeted with despair; party craves leadership  and is essentially on the verge of imploding b. the only thing the GOP can unite on is the need/desire to do away with  Harry Truman c. Lodge, aware of the need for the party of a strong candidate, approached  Eisenhower in 1950, believing that he was what the GOP needed to  become more progressive at home and accept the internationalist position  that Truman had outlined i. appealed to Eisenhower’s sense of duty but was brushed off d. Taft’s inconsistent position regarding events in Korea lead many moderate  conservatives to fear what would happen if he got the candidacy, causing  his eventual discrediting as a potential president e. Lodge begins a “grassroots” campaign for Eisenhower’s candicacy: he is  the right man for the time f. 1951: Truman makes Eisenhower the Supreme Commander of the Allies  in Europe i. Lodge makes numerous trips to Paris to continue pressuring  Eisenhower ii. Eisenhower eventually grants permission to have his name floated  around g. when Eisenhower visits Washington D.C. to consult with Truman, rumors  abound that Truman was making some sort of deal with Eisenhower to get  him to be the Democratic candidate h. Eisenhower, by Dec. 1951, was emphatically against being the candidate  and said as much to Lodge, but was ignored i. Lodge lets it slip in January of 1952 that Eisenhower is a Republican and  will be on the ballot, much to Eisenhower’s ire i. eventually, Eisenhower calms down, confirms this, and allows for  his name to be included on the ballot of the New Hampshire  primary j. New Hampshire i. conservative Republicans anticipate Taft to win because of NH’s  history ii. Eisenhower does not campaign, does not even go to New  Hampshire; still, he manages to pick up over 50% of the  Republican vote iii. proved that the GOP base did not want career politicians, did not  want “professionals” k. Eisenhower’s Campaign i. relied less on E
More Less

Related notes for CAS HI 338

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit