History
Course
CAS HI 338
Professor
Michael Holm
Semester
Spring

Description
February 27   th Eisenhower’s New Look I. The End of the Korean War a. had been a point of contention for Eisenhower as he criticized the Truman  administration b. Stalin was quite happy to allow the war to continue i. USSR had no particular investment in terms of either money or  manpower ii. United States was getting bogged down in a quagmire c. peace talks were stymied by the issue of POWs i. both sides wanted their POWs back after the war but many North  Korean prisoners didn’t want to return to the North ii. in the end, soldiers are allowed to decide for themselves where it is  they wish to go after the war d. Eisenhower traveled to Korea after his victory over Adlai Stevenson to  meet the troops and help seek a negotiated end to the war i. visit demonstrated to Americans the kind of leadership many felt  had been lacking during Truman’s final two years in office ii. not a particularly effective trip in terms of ending the war, but it  was good for keeping up appearances e. Stalemate in Korea i. from March 1951, the line barely moved ii. “trench warfare” th f. armistice July, 1953: Korea is dividied at the 38  parallel II. Eisenhower’s New Look Policy a. 1955 fiscal policy b. “long haul planning” i. NSC 162­2: October 1953 1. expanded the nuclear arsenals 2. military preparedness must be consistent with the nation’s  economic capacity 3. opposed NSC 68’s massive escalation of conventional  forces ii. insists that the “cost” of the Cold War has fundamental, societal  consequences 1. concerned about availability of resources 2. fear of “the garrison state”: permament military footing –  “a cross of iron” c. H­Bomb i. was finally developed and tested in 1954 resulting in a bomb  almost 1,000 times as powerful as the one dropped on Hiroshima 1. it had been expected to yield a much smaller output 2. the lack of control demonstrated the unstable nature of  nuclear weaponry ii. radioactive debris left contamination around the world and  severely affected one Japanese fishing boat in the area iii. developing realization that nuclear war, if it were to happen, is  uncontainable iv. Eisenhower decides they might as well accept the danger of  nuclear war, and run with it – subtle, as well as brutal 1. believed that if there was to be nuclear war by 1954, it  would mean the end of human civilization 2. the conclusion he drew from that was that we needed more  bombs, better bombs, and improved delivery systems – e.g.  nuclear missiles a. this alarmed Eisenhower’s advisors who suggested  limited, conventional wars b. Eisenhower didn’t want any of that – Clausewitz:  men don’t go to war if what they fight for will be  destroyed in the process III. John Foster Dulles and the Massive Retaliation a. J. F. Dulles became Eisenhower’s first Secretary of State as a determined  anti­Communist and foreign policy expert and brother of Allen Welsh  Dulles, Eisenhower’s Director of the CIA b. had been anticipated to play a role in the Eisenhower administration ever  since the campaign i. as opposed to Truman’s “containing Communism”, Dulles  advocated “rolling back Communism” c. one of the architects behind the stockpiling and threat of nuclear weapons d. Massive Retaliation i. how to go about reconciling the hypothetical desire to support  one’s allies and the reality of doing so ii. Dulles decided that the current strategy of “local defense” wouldn’t  work in the long term against Communism because the USSR and  the PRC combined had land armies that could not be contended  with 1. “Local defenses must be reinforced by the further deterrent  of massive retaliatory power. A potential aggressor must  know that he cannot always prescribe battle conditions that  suit him… The U.S, is willing to respond to military  provocation at places and with means of our own  choosing.” iii. the United States had the right to retaliate an action at Point A with  attacks upon Point B iv. the Cold War as a global conflict where the battlefield is anywhere  and everywhere v. powerful as well as problematic 1. Western European powers doubted America’s willingness  to actually go through with this 2. Dulles was accused of “brinksmanship” IV. The CIA a. Dir. of CIA reports directly to the President and  b. capable of performing “sabotage, anti­sabotage, demolition and  evacuation measures… subversion, etc.” – really limitless c. National Security Act of 1947 created very vague oversight; answers  directly to the White House and interferes in international events i. ex. CIA buys Italian election between Christian Democrats and  Italian Communist Party d. Truman’s old mistrust of the CIA/OSS had been replaced by Eisenhower’s  embracing of the agency i. looked to the CIA as a tool he could wield overseas without danger  of full­scale war ii. helped that Allen Welsh Dulles was the director – there was a  perfect triangle between the White House, the State Department,  and the CIA V. Iran a. Anglo­Iranian Oil Company i. Mohammed Mossadegh had become PM in 1951; was closely tied  with the leftist Tudeh Party which had connections with the Soviet  Union – Washington thus worried about Communist influence in  Iran and Soviet access to Iranian and Middle Eastern oil ii. British were also particularly concerned about Mossadegh’s  election because they had been drilling for oil in Iran with very  little profit on the part of the Iranians iii. Mossadegh ought to nationalize the Anglo­Iranian Oil Company,  insisting that subsoil resources belong to the state, not to a foreign  power iv. MI6 reaches out to the Truman administration to overthrow  Mossadegh at first, to no avail; when they try again with  Eisenhower, the new administration is m
More Less

Related notes for CAS HI 338

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit