History
Course
CAS HI 338
Professor
Michael Holm
Semester
Spring

Description
March 4 th Civil Rights I I. Plessy v. Ferguson a. in the years directly after the Civil War (Reconstruction), integration of  African Americans into society progressed until 1877, when white  Southerners realized they could start getting away with new systems of  oppression th th b. in passing the 14 /15  Amendments, Congress had attempted to legislate  against Southern culture and tradition  c. 1892: Homer Plessy, a 7/8 white son of free black parents, purchased a  first class railroad ticket in Louisiana, seeking to challenge the state’s  segregation laws th i. charged that state segregation laws violated the 14  Amendment ii. 1896: case goes to the Supreme Court 1. the state argues that segregation prevents certain frictions –  “separate but equal” 2. Plessy’s lawyers argue that it is un­Constitutional for the  state to classify individuals 3. May 18 : Justice Henry Billings Brown delivers a ruling in  favor of the state – “it could not be intended to abolish  distinctions” a. challenged by John Marshall Harland as infringing  on personal liberty 4. states were now free to take “separate but equal” as their  legal groundwork  II. Civil Rights to 1940 a. Jim Crow  i. voting laws in the south kept blacks from the polls while  grandfather clauses protected whites ii. the 15  Amendment had only said someone couldn’t be stopped  from voting based on “race, color, or creed”; other requirements  could be established to the same effect 1. literacy tests 2. poll taxes that most blacks couldn’t afford 3. threats that all black drivers would be arrested 4. threats of assult or death b. the NAACP i. est. 1909 ii. “To secure for all people the rights guaranteed in the 13 , 14 , and  15  Amendments to the United States Constitution, which  promised an end to slavery, the equal protection of the law, and  universal adult male suffrage, respectively.” iii. 7,000 members in 1917; 90,000 in 1919 iv. tried to make lynching a federal offense  1. taking the issue out of the hands of local authorities 2. Southern democrats would philibuster or use other means  to prevent such legislation from passing through Congress c. 1920s and 30s i. FDR leaves civil rights alone to refocus on the Great Depression ii. the movement “stagnates” until World War II d. World War II i. African Americans continued to serve in segregated regiments ii. only towards the very end of the war do blacks and whites serve  alongside one another iii. FDR had made this war about global freedom, support for  democracy, and the end of empire 1. a growing consciousness that the institutionalized racism in  America is out of tune with the values the country was  pushing overseas 2. particularly true amongst African American veterans III. Harry Truman and Cithl Rights a. was born in 19  century Missouri into a racist society, but in the course of  his civil service, he grew to change his tune b. believed in the inherent equality of men – “The majority of our Negro  people find but cold comfort in our shanties and tenements. Surely, as free  men, they are entitled to something better than this.”  c. established “The President’s Committee on Civil Rights” i. Congress and the Justice Department needed permanent Civil  Rights Committees and offices who found that 1. lunching should be a federal offense 2. poll tax must be abolished 3. an end to segregation in the work force d. Executive Order 9981 i. desegregation of the armed forces ii. “there shall be equality of treatment and opportunity for all persons  in the armed services without regard to race, color, religion or  national origin” iii. immediate pushback was primarily from the military (“undermine 
More Less

Related notes for CAS HI 338

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit