WEEK FIVE: LECTURES
The government shutdown:
Occurred / Started @
What is the fight about? 12am Oct. 1
• Appropriations versus continuing resolutions. (CRs)
• What is a “clean CR”
Last shut down 1996
Clean CR – quick easy resolution & Clinton. Lasted 1
• What is the debt limit and what is it not. month.
Debt limit sets how much $ the US can borrownot
a price the gvt is allowed to use (that would be the
budget) ObamaCare begins
If we don’t pay our interests – it will send a huge day Oct. 1 – Can now
choose it online
• Why does it matter? ACA (affordable care
• What is happening with our defecit?
McCain’s opinion on shutdown “Elections have consequences….”
*Public is divided by healthcare. *
• Pluralism: Acknowledgement of diversity and using this concept in public policy
The view that politics and decision making are located mostly in
the framework of government, but that many nongovernmental
groups use their resources to exert influence. The central question
for classical pluralism is how power and influence is distributed in
a political process.
• What are its roots?
• Arguments for representation, better policy, avoiding “tyranny of the majority,”
opportunities for the participation/school for citizenship.
• Power is fundamentally based on having a relationship.
Competing in interest as well as agreement.
*If you spend majority of your time dealing w/ public policy are lobbyists.
▯Many in DC.
• Obama admin. ‘don’t give job to lobbyists well people down register as one”
• Roughly 15000 lobbyists in DC
• When you work as an interest group you don’t have to worry about hiring
• Huge variety of interest group system: People who employ