socinfluence.docx

5 Pages

Department
Psychological & Brain Sciences
Course Code
CAS PS 261
Professor
Anne Gehrenbeck- Shim

This preview shows pages 1 and half of page 2. Sign up to view the full 5 pages of the document.
Description
Social Influence (Material from Ch. 8) 01/21/2014 Social Influence Obedience – implies some type of authority Conformity Compliance – relies on peers or one­to­one situations Obedience – Milgram Stanley Milgram’s Obedience Study – Yale, 1962 Historical implications: 17 years post WWII – Hitler – “I was just following orders” Deceptive research like this gave rise to current IRBs and ethical questions (right to withdraw, informed  consent, etc.) Ethical need for debriefing of participants afterward Questions about research methodology – all male participants, etc. Obedience Level of obedience to commands came down to three factors: Proximity of person making command Proximity of person being “shocked” Authority of person/entity giving command: “The experiment requires…”, “It is essential that you  continue…”, Yale U vs downtown Bridgeport insignificant  Obedience – Interaction with Emotion Responsibility – “Do you take full responsibility?” Rationalization – “I was just about to get out of here…” Denial of anxiety – “He might be dead in there…” but kept shocking Nervous laughter – “You sure had me going…” Conformity – Individual in Context Solomon Asch – classic conformity experiment 1951, 1955 – lengths of lines –                                      ­        –        — Standard       Comparison   A        B        C “Stooges” in on experiment gave wrong answers Participants (who answered last) 76% of the time conformed to stooges’ answer Conformity – Differential Effects Presence of one “ally” Presence of other outlier “votes” Public conformity vs. private acceptance Examples: choosing a movie with friends, discussing a book you read, lone dissenter vs. having a  compatriot Factor Affecting Conformity Cohesiveness of group, e.g. T­shirts for fund­raisers, uniforms for team sports Size of group, e.g. more is better Descriptive norms – what do people normally do in a situation, e.g. religious rituals Injunctive norms – what ought to be done, e.g. wait your turn in line Normative focus theory: norms infl
More Less
Unlock Document

Only pages 1 and half of page 2 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit