Psychological & Brain Sciences
Course
CAS PS 333
Professor
Barak Caine
Semester
Spring

Description
Drugs, Lec 7: 01/31/2014 Why do we choose ED50?  Steepest part of the curve at ED50, gives you the most reliable and most powerful correlation between  changing the dose and changing the effect. One numerical value to describe potency. Don’t want to take it  from the top or the bottom of the S, the effect changes very little with the change in dosage. Misinterpreting  the connection between dose and effect.  MED: minimum effective dose. ED100, effective dose in 100 percent of the rats and humans. We want the  minimum to be as economically efficient as possible. Least likely to produce side effects too. MED is what  dose you give in a medication.  Pretreatment with an antagonist can cause the drug to be less efficient. Competing at the same receptor  tells you how the drug works. You can put the agonist and the antagonist together to separate the drug  producing therapeutic effects and the one producing side effects. Doesn’t always happen, don’t always  have separate receptors for both drugs. Can’t always stimulate one and block the other.  Ex. exam question, graph with no x or y­axis labeling. Pharmacokinetics: x­axis is time, y­axis is blood concentration of the drug.   BAL: blood alcohol level.                          ,   inhalation [blood of  drug]                   Insufflation                                    P.O.                              I.M,  S.C, I.P                           0          1          2  
More Less

Related notes for CAS PS 333

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit