Drugs, Lec 20: 03/19/2014
1. Demerol is a mu opioid agonist NOT dopamine agonist.
2. MPTP is by the product of MPPP.
3. Ldopa + carbidoba is given as most common treatment for PD, indirect DA agonist + enzyme blocker to
stop Ldopa from converting to DA in the bloodstream.
4. Synapses for DA neurons in dorsal striatum, administer Ldopa for best effect.
5. Risk for Parkinson’s disease is 1/40.
6. Most common medication for PD after Ldopa, is a D2 receptor agonist. NOT MAOI.
7. Need to lose 80% DA to show symptoms of PD. Overtime neurons degenerate retrogradely until cell
bodies in SN