Lecture 6

SMG SM 131 Lecture 6: sm 131 OPERATIONS LECT CONTD

2 Pages
Unlock Document

Boston University
School of Management
SMG SM 131
Rebecca Nichols

 People o Workforce: Selection, Training, Retention o Organization: structure, rewards, performance, measurement, culture  Partnerships o Supply Chain: Vertical integration coordination  Place o Facilities: location, layout, networth o Capacity: growth place, economies of scale, additions  Processes o Technology: Project, job shop, cell, flow manual vs automation, process innovation, product innovation o Execution: Planning and control, QC, Maintenance o Improvement: Continuous Improvement, Six Sigma, Lean , Reengineering  Operations 4 P’S for Oru Kayak  Partnerships- supply chain o Fabrication all materials and assemble- market will not know much if you do everything yourself o Procure materials and assemble- I don't really have expertise in making polymers that are necessary for the material in making up most of that kayal. Reality: even if i knew how to do that process at bench level, i might not be able to do it economically. A chemical company that has facilities to make the polymer will have big costly advantages. Maybe go someplace else to purchase the material itself o Procure complete kayak  Place o Location? o Capacity? o Layout? o Facility network?  People o Sills/background/ education for workforce? o Compensation? o Management oversight- autonomy?  Processes o Planning and control- how much and when? o Make to stock vs Make to order? Wait for customer to actually order? Or continue making 8 simple kayaks a day? o Quality control- how to test, how tightly to control?  Supply Chain  To Make
More Less

Related notes for SMG SM 131

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.