Spring 2015

Department
Spanish
Course Code
CAS LS 112
Professor
Spooner
Lecture

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 3 pages of the document.
Idea: My feelings with regard to the book are positive.
English Way: I like the book.
Spanish Way: The book is pleasing to me.
The second thing to notice is that in English, the subject of the sentence is the person (I, we)
while in Spanish the subject of the sentence is the object (room, books).
The room is pleasing to me. Subject: The room ; I like the room. Subject: I
Finally notice that while the English sentence has a direct object, the Spanish sentence has an
indirect object.
The room is pleasing to me. me = Indirect Object ; I like the room. room = Direct Object
Let's study the following example:
Me gustan los libros.
Literal Translation: To me are pleasing the books.
Actual Translation: I like the books.
Notice that gustar is conjugated as "gustan" not "gusto." A common mistake is to say "Me gusto
los libros." This is incorrect because the subject of the sentence is "los libros" even though it
comes at the end. Remember, the verb is conjugated to agree with the subject of the sentence.
Me gustan los libros. (I like the books.)
Notice that the conjugation of gustar changes to "gusta" when the subject of the sentence is
singular.
Me gusta el libro. (I like the book.)
***Since the subject of the sentence must be either singular (book) or plural (books), the only
forms of gustar you will use are "gusta" and "gustan." This is true regardless of what IO
pronoun appears in the sentence.
Me gusta el libro.
I like the book.
Te gusta el libro.
You like the book.
Nos gusta el libro.
We like the book.
Me gustan los libros.
I like the books.
Te gustan los libros.
You like the books.
Nos gustan los libros.
We like the books.
**Remember, gustar becomes either gusta or gustan, depending upon whether the subject of
the sentence is singular or plural. It has nothing to do with which IO pronoun is used.
Subject is singular - use gusta
Me gusta el libro.
Te gusta el libro.
Subject is plural - use gustan
Me gustan los libros.
Te gustan los libros.
**Remember, the IO pronoun is not the subject of the sentence!
Nos gustamos ... incorrect!
Te gustas ... incorrect!
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Idea: My feelings with regard to the book are positive. English Way: I like the book. Spanish Way: The book is pleasing to me. The second thing to notice is that in English, the subject of the sentence is the person (I, we) while in Spanish the subject of the sentence is the object (room, books). The room is pleasing to me. Subject: The room ; I like the room. Subject: I Finally notice that while the English sentence has a direct object, the Spanish sentence has an indirect object. The room is pleasing to me. me = Indirect Object ; I like the room. room = Direct Object Let's study the following example: Me gustan los libros. Literal Translation: To me are pleasing the books. Actual Translation: I like the books. Notice that gustar is conjugated as "gustan" not "gusto." A common mistake is to say "Me gusto los libros." This is incorrect because the subject of the sentence is "los libros" even though it comes at the end. Remember, the verb is conjugated to agree with the subject of the sentence. Me gustan los libros. (I like the books.) Notice that the conjugation of gustar changes to "gusta" when the subject of the sentence is singular. Me gusta el libro. (I like the book.) ***Since the subject of the sentence must be either singular (book) or plural (books), the only forms of gustar you will use are "gusta" and "gustan." This is true regardless of what IO pronoun appears in the sentence. Me gusta el libro. Me gustan los libros. I like the book. I like the books. Te gusta el libro. Te gustan los libros. You like the book. You like the books. Nos gusta el libro. Nos gustan los libros. We like the book. We like the books. **Remember, gustar becomes either gusta or gustan, depending upon whether the subject of the sentence is singular or plural. It has nothing to do with which IO pronoun is used. Subject is singular - use gusta Subject is plural - use gustan Me gusta el libro. Me gustan los libros. Te gusta el libro. Te gustan los libros. **Remember, the IO pronoun is not the subject of the sentence! Nos gustamos ... incorrect! Te gustas ... incorrect! Singular Subject Plural Subject Me gusta la casa. Me gustan las casas. Te gusta el cuarto. Te gustan los cuartos. Le gusta la silla. Le gusta
More Less
Unlock Document
Start your 2 week free trial

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

Share with your friends

Get 2 friends to sign-up for a free trial as well, and get an additional free week

Next

You've reached the limit of 4 previews this month

Create an account for unlimited previews.

Already have an account?

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit