Broadcast and Cinematic Arts
Course
BCA 223
Professor
Aaron Jones
Semester
Spring

Description
Directing- with a side of scriptwriting February 6, 2014 1. The Four Components of Every Script a. Theme- what your story is about (message) b. Plot- How the story develops c. Characters-Who are they, and how do they interact with the plot (and each other)? d. Environment- Where they story takes place 2. Classical Dramaturgy a. Bullshit… 3. What is a Director? a. Interpreter b. Storyteller c. Know-it-all (but don’t be an ass…) d. Concise communicator e. Physiologist i. How do I make people feel a certain way? f. Therapist 4. Directing a. Two forms of directing- live and postproduced shows b. Preproduction activities vary widely, depending on the size and type of production c. Live entails a lot more quick decisions, therefor more prep d. Postproduced productions often require more coaching and talent e. Regardless of the form, your ultimate job remains the same: i. Turn an existing script into a product that effectively and efficiently communicates your Producer’s intended message. 5. Preproduction for Directors a. Read the script i. Take note of anything that seems important to the message 1. If it’s a PSA, pay attention to the points that need to be made 2. If it’s a love story, think about character traits and relationships 3. If it’s a corporate safety video, what might be important? b. Read it again for visuals i. Visualize what could/should be shown and how you’ll do it 1. I bet a lot of you do this all the time with music- I just did. 2. How would you shoot an argument in a love story? 3. How would you shoot an argument in an office setting? c. Determine basic production requirements i. Where will this be shot? ii. What equipment will you need? iii. Remember to keep your budget and timeline in mind! d. Locations i. Predetermined, or do you need to scout something out? ii. Make a list of specific needs before scouting- it helps! iii. You’ll know it when you find it iv. Get permission! v. Take photos, draw sketches, take measurements if you can vi. Remember your equipment requirements when scouting 1. Electricity, lighting, sound, camera considerations, commute vii. Examples:
More Less

Related notes for BCA 223

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit