FMD 250 Lecture Notes - Lecture 9: French Revolution, Chemise, Barouche

86 views6 pages

Document Summary

Themes: museum collections showed upper class bias, class distinctions prevailed, thorstei(cid:374) ve(cid:271)le(cid:374)"s theory of leisure (cid:272)lass: Some undergarments were made of flannel for warmth. Keeping up with fashion was important, especially for british da(cid:374)dies (cid:272)alled ma(cid:272)aro(cid:374)i"s-whose style were subject to italian influences. Trade with the east brought asian textiles to europe-providing luxurious silks and printed cottons. Industrial revolution made possible the production of a wide variety of domestic textiles. Cha(cid:374)ges i(cid:374) me(cid:374)"s gar(cid:373)e(cid:374)ts were (cid:374)ot extreme during this time: 1700-1750: Men wore white shirts with ruffled frill at the front under vest that were sleeved or not sleeved. The vest was shorter than the outer coat. Ditto suits were made of the same fabric: 1750-1800: Coats were worn for both formal and everyday occasions. Coats had a narrower and curved back. Banyans were worn at home and also on the street. Me(cid:374)"s a(cid:272)(cid:272)essories: wigs, shoes with golden buckles, pocketbook, three cornered hats (tricorne and bicorne hats)

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers