Gestalt and art
and copy notes
Monday, April 10, 2017
• A german word that roughly translates as whole or form
• The concepts that make unity and variety possible in design. It is concerned with
the relationship between parts of a composition and a whole
• Gestalt involves the psychology of perception
• A tendency to perceive a set of individual elements as a single, recognizable
pattern, rather than multiple individual elements
• Elements arranged in a straight line or a smooth curve are perceived as a group,
and are interpreted as being more related than elements not on the line or curve.
• Elements that are similar are perceived to be more related than elements that are
• Elements that are close together are perceived to be more related than elements that are
• An organizing principle that groups it ems in a way that indicates a direct relationship.
• Elements that are connected by uniform visual properties, such as color, are perceived to
be more related than elements that are not connected.
Figure-ground relationship • Elements are perceived as either figures (objects of focus) or ground (the rest of the
Art and copy Video notes
Monday, March 27, 2017
• Rotators are people who change the billboard ads
• "advertising is poison gas"
• Advertising was a boys club and who you