PSSC 330 Lecture Notes - Lecture 12: Rangeland, Seral Community, Farm Service Agency

39 views3 pages

Document Summary

Important because: increase quality of rangeland: maintain favorable costs/return ratios few (if any) improvement practices yield acceptable monetary returns under standard (fluctuating) economic conditions. Future value of vegetation on range area- if stand is lost, renovation would cost more than trying to maintain and improve. I(cid:374)vasive/u(cid:374)desira(cid:271)le spe(cid:272)ies do(cid:374)"t add to orga(cid:374)i(cid:272) (cid:373)atter of soil (cid:272)o(cid:374)te(cid:374)t thus i(cid:374)(cid:272)reasi(cid:374)g soil erosion, pollution, and soil depletion. *depletion of rangeland is costly (for present and future), needs to be managed. Implementation of range improvement program: assess current inventory + needs state of rangeland health & classification included in range inventory good/excellent=50-100% of population that should be there (maintain) poor/fair= 0-49% (improve) Poor/fair/good= low/mid/high seral (proportion of functional vegetation, not including invasive plants) Excellent= climax: clearly define improvement goals/objectives, budget implement the improvement (all at once or over time, assess and continuously monitor (2-3 times a year)

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers