Lecture 8

BIOL 102 Lecture 8: Hardy Weinberg

2 Pages
Unlock Document

Clark University
BIOL - Biology
BIOL 102
David Hibbett

Hardy Weinberg • predict how much a population has evolved o relative to phenotype and genotype o between generations Selection equation • amount of change in the phenotype if we know heritability and the strength of selection Example Question: “biologist is tracking a gene and it has 3 alleles in the entire population, how many possible genotypes are there” 2 2 • p + 2pq + q = 1 Discrete vs. Quantitative • Discrete: some agent of selection i.e bee chooses to pollinate flower based on color o Limited phenotype • Quantitative: no distinctive phenotype, there is variation between phenotypes i.e a gradient of flower colors; whole spectrum and they cannot be categorized o Relative phenotypes Alleles makes up the gene Gene is made up of various alleles Polygenic inheritance often creates quantitative variation; occasional discrete Depends on whether or not phe0notype or genotypes are being observed Historical inertia Winged horses done exist because: Biomechanical First animal with limbs evolved  set the body plan for the future  descendents started with four limb “plan” “genetic tool kit”  finely orchestrated, cannot work; developmental process would break down
More Less

Related notes for BIOL 102

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.