Class Notes (839,150)
United States (325,799)
PO SC 1040 (24)
curtis (24)
Lecture 17

PO SC 1040 Lecture 17: History of South Africa (part 2)
Premium

2 Pages

Department
Political Science
Course Code
PO SC 1040
Professor
curtis

This preview shows 80% of the first page. Sign up to view the full 2 pages of the document.
Description
History of South Africa (Part 2) – POSC 1040 1. End of Apartheid a. Context i. Institutionalized discrimination ii. Cold War – rest of the world wasn’t caring anything about South Africa being Communist iii. People started to acknowledge and speak out against what was happening in South Africa iv. 1986 – repealed past laws because of discrimination v. disbanded it being illegal to be in groups for being black and wanting rights vi. people in control realized that the blacks were about to rise up and take control so whites took violent actions and tried to convince blacks they are in a stalemate (hurt each other so much that they just needed to create a truce) vii. The Soviet Union (1989 – 1990) security council passed laws disabling trade with South Africa b. 1993: FW de Klerk negotiates with Nelson Mandela (successful) i. Nelson Mandela elected as president c. Ideology: Democracy d. Policies: goal = “Rainbow Nation” i. Voices from everyone ii. Springbok (name of team) victory 1. Hosted Rugby world cup 2. Team was composed of both blacks and whites e. 1995: Promotion of National Unity and Reconciliation Act i. Reconcile Historical grievances ii. Unsuccessful f. Truth and Reconciliation Commission (19
More Less
Unlock Document

Only 80% of the first page are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit