Bonding, 3 types of bonds, Lewis dot symbols

3 Pages

Department
Chemistry
Course Code
CHEM 111
Professor
Dana Johnson

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 3 pages of the document.
Description
29 September Announcements Practice Exam tonight A103 from 7 – 9 pm Exam 2 next Wednesday Clark building from 7 – 9 pm st Must know 1 4 periods of the periodic table Know the abbreviations connected with names Isoelectric series -3 > -2 > -1 > 1 > 2 > 3 Clicker question Which ordering of species from smallest radius to largest radius is more likely correct? A. Au < Ba < Cs < I < Cs - + - + 2+ 3+ B. I < Cs < Cs < Ba < Au C. I < Au < Ba < Cs < Cs + D. Au < Ba < Cs < I < Cs+ - + 2+ 2+ - E. Cs < Cs < Au < Ba < I Clicker solution Use process of elimination + We know Cs < Cs → not A or E We know Ba < Cs → not B+ - + We know I > Cs → not C 3+ Therefore, D, even if we’re not sure about Au Bonding Only the noble gases exist without any bonds Even pure substances, like oxygen or sulfur, have bonds O 2 S8 Bonding lowers the energy of the atoms involved Atoms tend to have charges (+ or -, or δ+ and δ-) Electrostatic potential tells us a small distance is lower energy Bonds are categorized by the position of the atoms on the periodic table
More Less
Unlock Document

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit