Fall 2016

Department
English
Course Code
E 305
Professor
douglascloud
Lecture

This preview shows pages 1-3. Sign up to view the full 13 pages of the document.
Cloud – E305 F16 – 1
E305: PRINCIPLES OF WRITING AND RHETORIC
Meeting Times: Tue/Thu 9:30AM-10:45AM in Military Sciences 115
Instructor: Dr. Doug Cloud
Office: Eddy 355
Office Hours: Mon/Wed/Thu 2:00PM-3:00PM and by appointment.
COURSE DESCRIPTION
What is rhetoric? How has our understanding of rhetoric and writing changed over time?
What does rhetoric do? Does rhetoric reflect or create reality? What role does rhetoric
play in relations of power? How does rhetoric shape (and get shaped by) identities? Why
do the answers to these questions matter, for your roles as professionals, citizens and
humans?
This course, a humanities-based exploration of central principles of writing and other
forms of rhetoric, attempts to address these and other vital questions in the scholarship on
rhetorical theory. Intended as a core course for students in the English department's
Writing, Rhetoric and Literacy Concentration, this class provides an introduction to
critical concepts, theories and moments in writing and rhetoric. The course considers
major theorists of written language, explores competing perspectives on a variety of
rhetorical issues (e.g., ethos, pathos, power, identity, style, etc.), and discusses various
approaches to rhetorical analysis of cultural artifacts.
REQUIRED TEXTS
Bizzell, Patricia and Bruce Herzberg, eds. The Rhetorical Tradition: Readings from
Classical Times to the Present. 2nd Edition. New York: Bedford/St. Martin's P,
REQUIRED ESSAYS AND BOOK CHAPTERS (AVAILABLE IN CANVAS OR RT)
(LISTED IN ORDER OF SCHEDULE)
Plato, excerpts from Phaedrus.
Aristotle, excerpts from On Rhetoric
Cicero, excerpts from De Oratore
Richard Weaver, “The Phaedrus and the Nature of Rhetoric”
Anonymous, Dissoi Logoi
Isocrates, “Against the Sophists”
John Poulakos, “Toward a Sophistic Definition of Rhetoric”
Lloyd Bitzer, “The Rhetorical Situation”
Richard Vatz, “The Myth of the Rhetorical Situation”
Friedrich Nietzsche, “On Truth and Lies in a Non-Moral Sense”
Norman Fairclough, excerpts from Language and Power
find more resources at oneclass.com
Cloud – E305 F16 – 2
Pierre Bourdieu, excerpts from Language & Symbolic Power
Gloria Anzaldúa, excerpts from Borderlands/La frontera
Michel Foucault, excerpts from Fearless Speech
Ida B. Wells, “Southern Horrors: Lynch Law in All Its Phases, 1892.”
Jaqueline Jones Royster, “To Call a Thing by Its True Name: The Rhetoric of Ida B. Wells”
Quintilian, excerpts from The Orator’s Education
Ruth Amossy, “Ethos at the Crossroads of Disciplines”
S. Michael Halloran, “Aristotle’s Idea of Ethos, or If Not His, Someone Else’s”
Dana Anderson, excerpts from Identity’s Strategy
Mary Bucholtz & Kira Hall, “Identity and Interaction: A Sociocultural Linguistic Approach”
Hugh Blair, “Lectures on Rhetoric and Belles Lettres”
George Lakoff & Mark Johnson, excerpts from Metaphors We Live By
Sonja Foss, excerpts from Doing Rhetorical Criticism
Kathleen Hall Jamieson, “Justifying the War in Iraq…”
Doug Cloud, “Communicating Climate Change…”
Adam Smith, excerpts from The Theory of Moral Sentiments
Mark Garrett Longaker & Jeffrey Walker, excerpts from Rhetorical Analysis
George Loewenstein & Jennifer Lerner, “The Role of Affect in Decision-Making”
Kenneth Burke, excerpts from A Grammar of Motives
J.L. Austin, excerpts from How to Do Things with Words
Walter Ong, “Writing Restructures Consciousness”
Malea Powell, “Rhetorics of Survivance”
There will be other short readings assigned in class.
COURSE GOALS & OBJECTIVES
Goal 1:
Be able to identify, describe and apply critical concepts from theories of writing and
rhetoric.
Objective 1: Students will read and discuss some major theories from the Western
rhetorical tradition over the last 2500 years (class readings, class discussions).
Objective 2: Students will identify important aspects selected readings and discuss them
with one another (class discussion leadership).
Objective 3: Students will trace critical concepts across different authors and time periods
(class discussions, primary source précis, manifestos)
Objective 4: Students will complete an end-of-semester assessment to measure their
overall understanding of critical concepts in theories of writing and rhetoric
(comprehensive final exam).
Goal 2:
Cloud – E305 F16 – 3
Be able to use rhetorical theory to understand the socio-cultural context surrounding the
language practices in your own lives (i.e. become “professional observers of things”).
Objective 5: Students will use the theories covered in this class to undertake an analysis
of a cultural artifact that 1) circulates widely, 2) has influence on their daily lives or the
life of someone they care about and 3) they identify as important (analysis of a cultural
artifact).
COURSE POLICIES
Academic Integrity and Coursework Expectations
The course will adhere to the Academic Integrity Policy of the Colorado State University General
Catalog and the Student Conduct Code. I take academic misconduct—and especially plagiarism
—very seriously. A general definition of plagiarism at CSU can be found at
writing.colostate.edu/guides under “Documenting Sources.” Confirmed incidences of plagiarism
or any other form of academic misconduct will result in a failing grade on the assignment and,
depending on severity, may result in automatic failure of the course. If you are confused about
whether something constitutes academic misconduct, remember that you can always ask me.
Remember also that the Writing Center at CSU is an invaluable resource for avoiding plagiarism,
and addressing the panic that sometimes drives good students to engage in academic misconduct.
The value of your education at CSU depends on the integrity of our academic culture. Note that
students should expect to do around two hours of outside work for each contact hour.
Attendance Policy
Since this course depends on your participation in class, attendance is required. Absences will be
excused for university-sanctioned events only, and appropriate documentation must be provided
in advance. You are also allowed three unexcused absences without penalty. You do not need to
provide documentation or an excuse, though I do encourage you to plan ahead whenever possible.
Do not use your allotted absences in a cavalier manner. Once they are gone, they are gone. Any
absences beyond your third will lower your participation grade by five points per absence.
Excessive tardiness will also impact your participation grade (see below).
If you miss a class meeting, you are responsible for contacting your peers for materials
and information you’ve missed.
A note on tardiness:
Everyone is late from time to time, but arriving even one minute after the start of class can be
disruptive to your classmates and may cause you to miss important information. I reserve the
right to count late arrivals (after the start of class but within the first ten minutes) as ½ absences.
If you arrive more than ten minutes after the start of class, you will be counted as absent for the
day.
Late Assignments
Unless otherwise noted, all assignments are due at the beginning of class. My policy is not to
accept late work unless accommodations have been made more than 24 hours in advance. If you
come up to me in class and tell me that your printer exploded or that some sort of animal
consumed your assignment, I might decide to bend my policy and accept your work. However,

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Cloud – E305 F16 – 1 E305: P RINCIPLES OF W RITING AND R HETORIC Meeting Times: Tue/Thu 9:30AM-10:45AM in Military Sciences 115 Instructor: Dr. Doug Cloud Office: Eddy 355 Email: [email protected] Office Hours: Mon/Wed/Thu 2:00PM-3:00PM and by appointment. C OURSE D ESCRIPTION What is rhetoric? How has our understanding of rhetoric and writing changed over time? What does rhetoric do? Does rhetoric reflect or create reality? What role does rhetoric play in relations of power? How does rhetoric shape (and get shaped by) identities? Why do the answers to these questions matter, for your roles as professionals, citizens and humans? This course, a humanities-based exploration of central principles of writing and other forms of rhetoric, attempts to address these and other vital questions in the scholarship on rhetorical theory. Intended as a core course for students in the English department's Writing, Rhetoric and Literacy Concentration, this class provides an introduction to critical concepts, theories and moments in writing and rhetoric. The course considers major theorists of written language, explores competing perspectives on a variety of rhetorical issues (e.g., ethos, pathos, power, identity, style, etc.), and discusses various approaches to rhetorical analysis of cultural artifacts. R EQUIRED T EXTS Bizzell, Patricia and Bruce Herzberg, eds. The Rhetorical Tradition: Readings from Classical Times to the Present. 2nd Edition. New York: Bedford/St. Martin's P, 2001. R EQUIRED ESSAYS AND B OOK C HAPTERS (AVAILABLE IN C ANVAS OR RT) (LISTED IN ORDER OF SCHEDULE ) Plato, excerpts from Phaedrus. Aristotle, excerpts from On Rhetoric Cicero, excerpts from De Oratore Richard Weaver, “The Phaedrus and the Nature of Rhetoric” Anonymous, Dissoi Logoi Isocrates, “Against the Sophists” John Poulakos, “Toward a Sophistic Definition of Rhetoric” Lloyd Bitzer, “The Rhetorical Situation” Richard Vatz, “The Myth of the Rhetorical Situation” Friedrich Nietzsche, “On Truth and Lies in a Non-Moral Sense” Norman Fairclough, excerpts from Language and Power Pierre Bourdieu, excerpts from Language & Symbolic Power Gloria Anzaldúa, excerpts from Borderlands/La frontera Michel Foucault, excerpts from Fearless Speech Cloud – E305 F16 – 2 Ida B. Wells, “Southern Horrors: Lynch Law in All Its Phases, 1892.” Jaqueline Jones Royster, “To Call a Thing by Its True Name: The Rhetoric of Ida B. Wells” Quintilian, excerpts from The Orator’s Education Ruth Amossy, “Ethos at the Crossroads of Disciplines” S. Michael Halloran, “Aristotle’s Idea of Ethos, or If Not His, Someone Else’s” Dana Anderson, excerpts from Identity’s Strategy Mary Bucholtz & Kira Hall, “Identity and Interaction: A Sociocultural Linguistic Approach” Hugh Blair, “Lectures on Rhetoric and Belles Lettres” George Lakoff & Mark Johnson, excerpts from Metaphors We Live By Sonja Foss, excerpts from Doing Rhetorical Criticism Kathleen Hall Jamieson, “Justifying the War in Iraq…” Doug Cloud, “Communicating Climate Change…” Adam Smith, excerpts from The Theory of Moral Sentiments Mark Garrett Longaker & Jeffrey Walker, excerpts from Rhetorical Analysis George Loewenstein & Jennifer Lerner, “The Role of Affect in Decision-Making” Kenneth Burke, excerpts from A Grammar of Motives J.L. Austin, excerpts from How to Do Things with Words Walter Ong, “Writing Restructures Consciousness” Malea Powell, “Rhetorics of Survivance” There will be other short readings assigned in class. C OURSE G OALS &O BJECTIVES Goal 1: Be able to identify, describe and apply critical concepts from theories of writing and rhetoric. • Objective 1: Students will read and discuss some major theories from the Western rhetorical tradition over the last 2500 years (class readings, class discussions). • Objective 2: Students will identify important aspects selected readings and discuss them with one another (class discussion leadership). • Objective 3: Students will trace critical concepts across different authors and time periods (class discussions, primary source précis, manifestos) • Objective 4: Students will complete an end-of-semester assessment to measure their overall understanding of critical concepts in theories of writing and rhetoric (comprehensive final exam). Goal 2: Be able to use rhetorical theory to understand the socio-cultural context surrounding the language practices in your own lives (i.e. become “professional observers of things”). • Objective 5: Students will use the theories covered in this class to undertake an analysis of a cultural artifact that 1) circulates widely, 2) has influence on their daily lives or the life of someone they care about and 3) they identify as important (analysis of a cultural artifact). Cloud – E305 F16 – 3 C OURSE P OLICIES Academic Integrity and Coursework Expectations The course will adhere to the Academic Integrity Policy of the Colorado State University General Catalog and the Student Conduct Code. I take academic misconduct—and especially plagiarism— very seriously. A general definition of plagiarism at CSU can be found at writing.colostate.edu/guides under “Documenting Sources.” Confirmed incidences of plagiarism or any other form of academic misconduct will result in a failing grade on the assignment and, depending on severity, may result in automatic failure of the course. If you are confused about whether something constitutes academic misconduct, remember that you can always ask me. Remember also that the Writing Center at CSU is an invaluable resource for avoiding plagiarism, and addressing the panic that sometimes drives good students to engage in academic misconduct. The value of your education at CSU depends on the integrity of our academic culture. Note that students should expect to do around two hours of outside work for each contact hour. Attendance Policy Since this course depends on your participation in class, attendance is required. Absences will be excused for university-sanctioned events only, and appropriate documentation must be provided in advance. You are also allowed three unexcused absences without penalty. You do not need to provide documentation or an excuse, though I do encourage you to plan ahead whenever possible. Do not use your allotted absences in a cavalier manner. Once they are gone, they are gone. Any absences beyond your third will lower your participation grade by five points per absence. Excessive tardiness will also impact your participation grade (see below). If you miss a class meeting, you are responsible for contacting your peers for materials and information you’ve missed. A note on tardiness: Everyone is late from time to time, but arriving even one minute after the start of class can be disruptive to your classmates and may cause you to miss important information. I reserve the right to count late arrivals (after the start of class but within the first ten minutes) as ½ absences. If you arrive more than ten minutes after the start of class, you will be counted as absent for the day. Late Assignments Unless otherwise noted, all assignments are due at the beginning of class. My policy is not to accept late work unless accommodations have been made more than 24 hours in advance. If you come up to me in class and tell me that your printer exploded or that some sort of animal consumed your assignment, I might decide to bend my policy and accept your work. However, there will be a penalty, and it will be arbitrary and capricious. I urge you to always print your work the night before. Remember that if you are having any sort of difficulty—and you contact me in advance of a due date—I will do my very best to help you succeed. Electronic Submission of Assignments I do not accept emailed assignments. Do not email me your assignment unless I have given you permission to do so. Sending me an assignment via email is not the same as turning it in. When electronic submission is required, a submission portal will be available on Canvas. Cloud – E305 F16 – 4 Cellphones, Tablets, Laptops, and Other Related Technologies How students interact with portable technology devices can very much affect the dynamics of the classroom. Therefore, I expect you to silence your cell phone before coming to class. There is to be no text messaging during class. All laptops and tablets should be closed unless you have made prior arrangements with me. Please bring hard copies of class readings on the day they are due. Using Recording Equipment in Class If you need to record classroom activities, see me first. You may be able to do so for personal use. However, you may not further copy, distribute, publish or otherwise use for any other purpose without my express written consent. Religious Observance If you have a conflict between a religious observance and a class meeting or graded assignment, please contact me well in advance so that we can make appropriate arrangements. Learning Disability If you have learning needs or other conditions that require accommodations for you to succeed in the course, contact the Office of Resources for Disabled Students. We can arrange to accommodate your needs based on their recommendations. Please notify me at the semester’s beginning of your learning needs—I cannot help you if you wait until the end of the semester to seek out support. An Additional Note on Title IX Compliance Recently the English Department recommended that faculty increase the visibility of our policies on Title IX reporting and student resources. I am happy to share them here and encourage you to talk with me about any experiences that I might be able to help you find resources for. Here is the official language that CSU has adopted: CSU’s Discrimination, Harassment, Sexual Harassment, Sexual Misconduct, Domestic Violence, Dating Violence, Stalking, and Retaliation policy designates faculty and employees of the University as “Responsible Employees.” This designation is consistent with federal law and guidance, and requires faculty to report information regarding students who may have experienced any form of sexual harassment, sexual misconduct, relationship violence, stalking or retaliation. This includes information shared with faculty in person, electronic communications or in class assignments. As “Responsible Employees,” faculty may refer students to campus resources (see below), together with informing the Office of Support and Safety Assessment to help ensure student safety and welfare. Information regarding sexual harassment, sexual misconduct, relationship violence, stalking and retaliation is treated with the greatest degree of confidentiality possible while also ensuring student and campus safety. Any student who may be the victim of sexual harassment, sexual misconduct, relationship violence, stalking or retaliation is encouraged to report to CSU through one or more of the following resources: • Emergency Response 911 • Deputy Title IX Coordinator/Office of Support and Safety Assessment (970) 491-1350 • Colorado State University Police Department (non-emergency) (970) 491-6425 For counseling support and assistance, please see the CSU Health Network, which includes a variety of counseling services that can be accessed at: http://www.health.colostate.edu/. The Sexual Assault Victim Assistance Team is a confidential student resource that does not have a reporting requirement and that can be of great help to students who have experienced sexual assault: http://www.wgac.colostate.edu/need-help-support. Cloud – E305 F16 – 5 M AJOR A SSIGNMENTS (Please note that ALL major assignments must be completed to earn a passing grade in this course.) Assignments #1 and #2: Primary Source Précis For each précis, you will choose a primary reading (a list will be provided in the detailed assignment description) and write a critical summary about a concept, term or problem addressed in the reading. Many of our class encounters with primary texts (e.g. Aristotle’s On Rhetoric or Plato’s Phaedrus) will be in truncated form. However, the précis assignments asks you to go back, read the full text (or a large portion of it) and carefully pull out a concept, term or problem. Your job in the précis assignments is not to summarize but rather to critically summarize—to explain the author(s)’ treatment of the concept term or problem AND point out difficulties or inconsistencies in the text and explore possible interpretations that may address them. For example, you might show that Aristotle defines ethos in slightly different ways in On Rhetoric, or that he blends ethos and pathos together. You could then explore why such multiple ways of understanding ethos are important, or why is it problematic to conflate ethos/pathos (or why we should understand them as intertwined). We will discuss this assignment in depth as it approaches. Assignment #3: Rhetorical Analysis of a Cultural Artifact You will analyze a cultural artifact of your choosing in a 7-8 page research paper that uses some of the terms and concepts we have explored this semester. Your artifact could be a text, transcript, film or almost anything that circulates widely and can be described linguistically. However, your focus will be on describing how the artifact argues something, a criterion we will discuss in class. Assignment #4: Final Exam A take-home essay exam, composed of three to four essay questions, which you will have 48 hours to complete. This exam will be due in hard copy at the beginning of finals week. SMALLER ASSIGNMENTS Manifestos At two points during the semester, I will ask you to write a short manifesto in response to a question or series of questions (see day-by-day schedule for the topics). This assignment asks you to “weigh in” in an informed way to our ongoing discussions about issues such as the relationship between rhetoric and identity. Your manifestos will be posted to Canvas and you will also be asked to respond to at least two of your classmates’ manifestos. Cloud – E305 F16 – 6 Participation Work (class discussion work and short assignments) In almost every class discussion, we will undertake some kind of analysis or activity designed to help us use what we have read for the day. Many of these activities will be small group work, some will be individual work, and a few will require out-of-class work (e.g. finding examples of certain kinds of rhetoric). These will be collected and will form the bulk of your participation grade. Note that excessive absences or tardiness can override your participation grade (see attendance and lateness policies above, grade breakdown below). Final Reflection and Discovery Memo During the last week of the semester, you’ll write a short (2-3 pages) memo reflecting on your experience this semester. The memo will comment on the most significant things you have learned, thought about, or see as changes in your thinking. Please hand in your memo at the beginning of our final class period. G RADE B REAKDOWN : Possible Points Your Score A1: Primary Source Précis 10 A2: Primary Source Précis 10 A3: Rhetorical Analysis of a Cultural Artifact 25 A4: Comprehensive Final Exam
More Less
Unlock Document

Only pages 1-3 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

You've reached the limit of 4 previews this month

Create an account for unlimited previews.

Already have an account?

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit