Class Notes (806,678)
United States (312,140)
English (113)
E 341 (23)

Jacques Lacan, need, realm of the real, mirror phase, symbolic realm, desire, symbolic order

8 Pages
Unlock Document

Colorado State University
E 341
Aparna Gollapudi

11 October Jacques Lacan French psychoanalyst who in 1950’s onwards began developing his theories. Brings together Freud’s ideas with structuralist and post-structuralist linguistic theory. Freud’s aim in psychoanalysis was to uncover aspects of the unconscious and bring it into the realm of consciousness in order to understand impact of id on ego and cure any neuroses emerging from that: “Where id was, there shall ego be.” For Lacan this aim of giving the ego control over the id or having the conscious “I” replace the unconscious is impossible. According to Lacan, the ego or “I” is only an illusion, a product of the unconscious itself. Thus, for Lacan the unconscious is “the nucleus of our being”. Ego does not have power to control according to Lacan. Freud’s tripartite model of the mind – id, ego, superego – charts how the demands of the id are repressed by the injunctions of the superego and a child becomes a civilized, well-socialized and productive ego-controlled self. Lacan, on the other hand, has no such faith in the ego. He argues that this sense of a self that is rational and in control is an illusion. His essay on the Mirror Stage discusses how an infant gets the illusion of what we know as a “self”. Before the Mirror Stage The infant starts out without any sense of an individual or coherent identity. An infant will play with or suck upon parts of its own body – its fist or toes – with as much enthusiasm as an external object such as a bottle or a breast or a toy. In this baby’s world there is no difference between self and other, between itself and the mother. There is no consciousness of anything except NEED. Need is for concrete things: the infant needs milk when it is hungry; needs to be changed when it is wet and uncomfortable; needs to be held or hugged when it needs warmth and safety. The infant driven by pure need does not distinguish between itself and the objects that meet its needs. There is no recognition that the thumb it is sucking is its own or that the breast is a part of another person. There is only NEED and the satisfaction of those needs. This phase Lacan terms the realm of the REAL: In the Real, there is no consciousness of separation between I and you, subject and object, self and other, infant and mother. The Real as a psychic realm is a world of undifferentiated wholeness, a world without boundaries, a world of completeness and fullness where there are only needs and satisfaction of those needs. Complete “happiness” (in adult terms, not in infant terms who is nothing yet but a bundle driven by instinctive need) or satisfaction is possible in the realm of the Real. “Growing up” means moving from this world of primal wholeness and unity: the infant must separate from its mother, realize that the world is not just a flux without differences but a world inhabited by all kinds of ‘others’. Thus at the root of an infant’s growth into ‘functional human being in civilized society’ lies a breaking up of this original sense of fullness and wholeness; a primal LOSS wherein the sense of a non-differentiated completeness must give way to separation. Between the ages of 6 to 18 months the infant begins to shift from the wholeness of the Real to a consciousness of a difference between its body and the world around. With this consciousness, the infant shifts from having only Need to have DEMANDS. With the idea of separation, comes the sense of anxiety, the awareness of Loss or LACK that destroys the earlier sense of undifferentiated fullness. Demands are, in that sense, dependent upon the dawning awareness that the infant is indeed separate from its mother, and that other things exist in the world apart from it. The infant’s Demand then is a demand for that sense of complete satisfaction and wholeness now lost. This LOSS is of course fundamental to the process of individuation and separation that is needed for “normal” growth into adulthood. This is when Lacan’s MIRROR STAGE happens. Mirror stage is best understood as part metaphorical, part real explanation of how the ego or “I” or our sense of “self” is created. At this age – between 6 and 18 months – the baby or child hasn’t yet mastered its own body; it doesn’t have control over its own movements, and it doesn’t have a sense of its body as a whole. At this time, experiencing its body as fragmented, the child sees its image in the mirror. This is for the child an “aha” moment. It looks at the mirror and thinks: that is ‘me’! But that is not true. It is not “me” in the mirror but an image. The fundamental act of defining a “self” is thus based on a MISRECOGNITION. Lacan: “The mirror stage as an identification, in the full sense that analysis gives to the term: namely, the transformation that takes place in the subject when he assumes an image.” The infant is experiencing its body as fragmented but clearly an entity separate from others. The mirror reflection, however, offers a total image, a whole person. The false identification of the self is “orthopedic vision of its totality” – a kind of prosthetic self, a crutch, a corrective tool that helps the child overcome its sense of lack of coordination, control, and wholeness. Contrast between image as whole and body as fragmented parts that are not controlled Lacan: “The mirror stage is a drama where the internal thrust is precipitated from insufficiency to anticipation and which manufactures for the subject, caught up in the lure of spatial identification, the succession of phantasies that extends from a fragmented body-image to a form of its totality that I shall call orthopaedic – and, lastly, to the assumption of the armor of an alienating identity which will mark with its rigid structure the subject’s entire mental development.” Some of ideal image recognizable as self, but what we think of as “I” is different Completely authentic “I” impossible – how others see us I inextricably bound up in “I” When identifying self, always relating to other things Self cannot exist in isolation This image in the mirror that the child takes as its “self” is called the IMAGO by Lacan. This Imago creates the ego, the “I” but is always ultimately a fantasy, a self formed by identification with an external image. Lacan: The mirror stage “situates the agency of the ego, before its social determination in a fictional direction.” If the phase of Need is the REAL, this phase of Demand with its mirror stage, ruled by the fantasy self called the Imago is termed by Lacan as the realm of the IMAGINARY. Just as there will always be a gap between the whole mirror image the infant misrecognizes as itself and its actual experience of a fragmented, imperfect body; so too our lives are marked by that gap (in clinical terminology) the “ideal ego” and our sense of self. We internalize the “ideal ego” and build our “I”dentity based on it. We imagine a self that has no lack, no loss, no absence or sense of incompleteness. This self is a fiction. It is an illusion of mastery. Lacan: The relation of the image to the body: “The total form of the body by which the subject anticipates in a mirage the maturation of his power is given to him only as a Gestalt, that is to say in an exteriority in which this form is certainly more constituent than constituted, but in which it appears to him above all a contrasting size…that fixes it and in a symmetry that inverts it, in contrast with the turbulent movements that the subject feels are animating him.” After the Imaginary phase, in which there is a misrecognition of the Imago for the self, and a concealment of the Lack or Loss implicit in the separation from the mother, the break down of primal wholeness, there comes the realm of the Symbolic: the child begins to learn language (though the Imaginary never disappears because it is the basic phase of ego-formation and coexists with the Symbolic). The Symbolic is the realm of Language. The Symbolic Realm The Real: Need and satisfaction; no consciousness of an “I” but experience of fullness and wholeness; primal unity of mother and infant, no dist
More Less

Related notes for E 341

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.