• Especially important.
• Fusiform FaceArea (FFA)
• Interactions = attention directed to face.
• Neutral expression = presonality inferences
• Source of info.AND generators of emotion
◦ Facial Feedback hypothesis (ex. Pencil in mouth)
• Pan Am Smile vs. Duchenne Smile
• Duchenne: natural
◦ Checking your smile: Employees at Keihin Express Railway (Japan) can check w/ rating.
Eye contact: Strong non-verbal cue.
• Can mean a variety of things...
• Can reveal emotional states.
• Scratching & playing with hair can mean emotional arousal (nervous)
• Fidgeting can mean deception