Class Notes (806,888)
United States (312,248)
Statistics (75)
STAT 301 (55)

Measure of center, measure of spread, variance, standard deviation, interquartile range, boxplots

4 Pages
Unlock Document

Colorado State University
STAT 301
Brett Hunter

24 August A parameter is a value that pertains to the population Denoted by a Greek letter A statistic is a value that pertains to a sample Denoted by a Roman letter Numbers to describe data Measure of center For numeric variables: x Mean (μ for parameter, for statistic) Median Mode ≈ ≈ If histogram is symmetric, mean median mode If histogram is right skewed, mean > median > mode If histogram is left skewed, mean < median < mode For categorical variables: proportion of “successes” ̂ p π for parameter; , p, for statistic Still need to find a measure of spread, as just knowing where the center of the data is does not give us all the information we need. Measures of spread – provides a measure of uncertainty Range = max – min Deviation from sample mean How far a particular observation is from the sample mean X - x i Xi= the ith value from data set Measure of spread would need to include all deviations n ∑ (x −́ )0 Can’t take average of deviations, as i=1 i Say x = 3, x = 4, x = 6 1 2 3 3 ∑ xi = 3 + 4 + 6 i=1 Σ indicates a summation Variance Average squared deviation from the mean n 2 ∑ (x1−́x)2 S = i=1
More Less

Related notes for STAT 301

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.