PHIL 1100 Lecture Notes - Lecture 13: Intermittent Explosive Disorder, Compatibilism, Incompatibilism

22 views2 pages

Document Summary

Stace: actions are free if fueled by psychological state. Frankfurt: actions are free if you are not only acting on the basis of a desire but also a desire that you have thought about and want to have (the willing versus unwilling addict) The intermittent explosive disorder person versus the cheating friend. Does he solve the problem of stace? (mental illness, addiction, hypothetical neuroscientist) Incompatibilism: determinism is not true; explain how determinism being false acts. 1. if determinism is false, then my actions are not settled by the past including my choices. 2. if my actions are not settled by my choices, then they are random occurrences in the universe which is also not free action. Main claims: we are special in our status as agents, people are the originator of the stages, the beginner of their own causal chain, we are movers unmoved (in a sense god of our decision making) People have the ability to make their own choices.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers