RS 100 Lecture Notes - Lecture 12: Totem, Émile Durkheim, Edward Burnett Tylor

46 views2 pages
School
Course
Professor

Document Summary

There was 2 lines of thought with religion at this time a. i. 1. Began by experiencing powers and personifying them a. i. 1. c. See religion as a way of thinking a. i. 1. d. See personification/anthropomorphism as distinguishing mark of religion a. i. 2. Religion is grounded by sociology and explained by the social necessity. Said if both tylor and hume are right, religion should"ve perished a long time ago. Said people did not see beings like themselves everywhere they looked. Saw religion as made true and socially necessary. Something real lies at the base of religion, and the believers are unconscienced of what it is. Positive: no one can find the beginning of religion, there are 2 defining characteristics of religion a. i. 1. 1 domain contains all that is profane (not sacred) Religion has survived because it"s a power interlock with society itself. Negative: believed all religions started with totemism a. i. 1. Group life is where religion is experienced a. i. 3. The totem is both god and community a. i. 4.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers