RS 100 Lecture 10: RS100 Lecture 10

36 views2 pages
School
Course
Professor

Document Summary

His writings fall into 2 distinct phases a. i. 1. Scientific phase: presents the new science of sociology a. i. 2. The messianic phase: where he undertook the creation of religion that could save mankind. Was obsessed with the paradox of inexorable (impossible to prevent) progress and profound crises. During his time there were all kinds of things changing and revelations happening: what social institutions should be established after the revelation a. i. Believed civilization was governed by the law of progress. Thought scientists would be the new priests a. Invented a new religion based on science but since it had no emotional appeal, no one joined. Created positivism: the only knowledge worth having is the one that can be measured a. i. Incorrect, because some of the most important things in life cannot be measured. Thought religion was a way of thinking. Understood religion acted as a social glue. Unlike hume he did not explain away religion. Saw religion as a vital and social institution.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers