434 Community Organization Study Guide.docx

5 Pages
Unlock Document

California State University-Northridge
SOC 440

434 Community Organization Study Guide Introduction I. Power of participation a. Means of making change through collective power i. Everyday individuals have limited power b. Need for community organizations i. Because there is a power imbalance ii.Emerges from minority groups who are not able to express their voice II. Distinction between minority groups and majority groups a. Minority group usually has less access to power, authority and resources b. Majority group generally makes decisions; these decisions benefit themselves (the few) while the ‘many’ are ignored or even exploited. III. What happens when individuals come together into an organized group a. The total power increases-often above and beyond multiplying by the number i. The power of individuals ,once united, goes beyond ‘power of ‘ IV. Collective Power a. When individuals work together i. Characteristics of Collective Power 1. Strategically 2. Peacefully 3. In large numbers V. Goal of the book a. Help individuals do all of the above VI. Radical Democracy a. Ordinary people participate in community institutions where politics and ideas are discussed; goal is improvement of society b. Radical: going to the source or the root of the problem c. Democracy: rule by the people i. In radical democracy tp people = power (each person brings in their own networks: ii. Get people involved (provide opportunities) iii.This process is continuous iv. Get people to understand their abilities v. Bring them into the organization and pay attention to individual potential; show respect 1. Includes: showing that a. Contacting, talking with others is important b. Attending meetings and learning, evaluating, use critical thinking is are important vi. Bring community together 1. Provide support, help with personal confidence and community confidence vii. More power holders with numbers 1. Build up umbers to show the few (those who have) that these concerns are not limited to a small, inconsequential number viii.Get members to make decisions d. Get members to understanding organization; what it is i. Guide members to see the root of problems ii. Bring them together so they realize scope of problem iii.Recognize others who can do the work iv. Direct Actions: planned, collective activities: actions have clear objectives e. Develop Leaders: Leaders learn by doing i. Let leaders do
More Less

Related notes for SOC 440

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.