BIO 22 Lecture Notes - Lecture 16: Superior Colliculus, Ovulation, Placenta

70 views5 pages
School
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Chapter 20/lecture 16 endocrine system: hormone chemical released into interstitial fluid, blood, or lymph that affect target cells throughout the body, timescale is minutes, hours, days a. i. Slow and long lasting compared to nervous system (ms to seconds: hormones only bind to specific protein receptors or target cells, hormones don"t just effect reproductive system! Sleep/wake cycles: 2 types of hormones d. i. Enters the cell and binds to an intracellular receptors d. ii. 3. Endocrinology: the study of hormones and endocrine organs. Endocrine vs. exocrine glands: endocrine glands: release hormones into interstitial fluid, blood, lymph (ex: growth hormones, oxytocin, exocrine glands: release secretions onto an epithelial surface (ex: sweat, oil, mucus) Hypothalamus: (link between brain and endocrine system: location: brain (below thalamus) *nose of seahorse, function: neuroendocrine regulation, responds to homeostasis signals to regulate release of hormones downstream, horomones: c. i. Oxytocin: lactation stimulation, uterine contraction, social and maternal bonding, vas deferens, prostate constrictions c. iii.