ARTH 3539 Lecture Notes - Lecture 16: Nicolas Bourriaud, Persian Language, Henri Matisse

43 views2 pages
13 Apr 2017
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Documenta 2002- globalization, first african curator- the art world is now about globalization. Art is eurocentric, but now there are new biographies from people from the periphery. Artists have to now have a nomadic mindset- i don"t belong to just one place, i"m from everywhere and relate to everything . Nicolas bourriaud, the radicant- artists that can be uprooted and replanted seamlessly. Me. na. sa: middle east/ north africa/ south asia. Metropolitan museum, new york: department of islamic art renamed the art of the. Arab lands, turkey, iran, central asia, and later south asia . Orientalism- the west is better, west has enlightenment, westerners are doers, west has reason. Looking at the east helps the west maintain our superiority-the east is our other . Artists have to address the issues from their country, self-exocitize. Shirin neshat, born in iran in 1957, studied art in la when the iranian revolution occurred, Presents herself as exocit; makes work for a western audience.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers