ATOC 1050 Lecture Notes - Lecture 10: Fluid Parcel, Pressure Gradient, Net Force

45 views2 pages

Document Summary

Wind: is the horizontal movement of air due to horizontal differences in air pressure. Unequal heati(cid:374)g of the earth"s surface co(cid:374)ti(cid:374)ually creates differe(cid:374)ces i(cid:374) air pressure a(cid:374)d results i(cid:374) (cid:449)i(cid:374)d. Therefore, solar radiation is the ultimate energy source for most wind. Air tends to flow from areas of higher pressure to areas of lower pressure. Pressure gradient force (pgf): the force due to differences in pressure within the atmosphere that causes air to move out and, hence, the wind to blow. Ne(cid:449)to(cid:374)"s (cid:1005)st law of motion: an object at rest will remain at rest and an object at motion will remain in motion as long as no net force is exerted on the object: ex. Object will remain at rest: ex. In motion, no forces: object will travel at constant speed in a straight line. In motion, equal and opposite forces: object will travel at constant speed in a straight line.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers