ESCI 1 Lecture Notes - Lecture 6: Mote Marine Laboratory

28 views1 pages
1. Who is David Vaughan ?
David Vaughan is a program manager for Coral Restoration at the Mote Marine
Laboratory. He grows coral in a lab, so that he can replant it back into the ocean, where it can
thrive and replenish the coral that is dying due to global warming and other factors.
2. What did he study?
David Vaughan studies how coral can regrow in an artificial environment in order to help
replenish the lack of coral reefs in the ocean.
3. Give a summary of his research?
The coral David Vaughan grew in his lab grew, in a few months, to a size that would
have taken years to grow in the wild. He stimulates what the ocean will be like 100 years from
now, to determine which coral can survive the harsh environments and be able to survive. He
also looks at what causes a speeding of growth in the coral, in hopes of stopping cancer in human
beings.
4. Do you think it is important to have multiple generations of scientists working together? Why
or why not?
It is very important to have multiple generations of scientists working together because
every generation has experienced different things and has different knowledge basis that can
create new ideas and view things in a way that another generation may not.
5. If you were David Vaughan, would you have retired or kept working on your passion? Why or
why not?
If I were David Vaughan, I would keep working in the oceans and doing what I love. I
don’t think there is any age in which a person must stop doing something that brings them joy
and brings them a sense of satisfaction in their life.
Unlock document

This preview shows half of the first page of the document.
Unlock all 1 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

David vaughan is a program manager for coral restoration at the mote marine. The coral david vaughan grew in his lab grew, in a few months, to a size that would have taken years to grow in the wild. He stimulates what the ocean will be like 100 years from now, to determine which coral can survive the harsh environments and be able to survive. If i were david vaughan, i would keep working in the oceans and doing what i love.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers