WRD 103 Lecture 4: WRD II - Week one

44 views2 pages
Cynthia Valencia
Winter Quarter
WRD 104/Banwart
Week One Responses
Monday, January 8, 2018
1. A little bit about myself:
In general I have always prefered to work with number instead of writing but when I am
writing about something that I enjoy or am interested in I enjoy it. When I do write I am
not always concise but definitely coherent. When it comes to incorporating details I am
fairly well at it and focusing on one topic. Since I don’t really struggle with not having
enough to write about I feel like I need improvement within the quality of my writing. My
writing process starts off with me outlining my essay and laying out my ideas so that I can
organize them in a coherent way. In high school I wasn’t really fond of my writing classes
because most of the materials that we were required to write and research was outdated
and very boring so I never was engaged with my writing. For this class I expect to improve
not only as a writer but also as a person. I try to figure out why each class is valuable to my
college experience and strive to get the most out of it.
2. "Tense Present" David Foster Wallace:
The propositional context (the actual info) is only part of a conversation. In fact there are
so many other components that are taken into account. For example, individuals don’t
only focus on what you have to say but also how you say it and what kinds of facial
expressions you use. I’ve learned that people are categorized as a SNOOT or a
descriptivist depending on their tolerance of others gramera and/or speech. I’d say that I
am a descriptivist because I don’t enjoy judging people by the way they speak but instead
try to understand their background to better understand them. In the minds of SNOOT’s
they might think a certain dialect is superior that another. When communicating we must
be aware of the different types of dialects, our audience and discourse
communities/cultures. The discourse communities that I belong to are Latino English &
Upper Midwest, but within these diglets there could also be different branches or other
types of linguistics. For instance, in the Upper Midwest that includes many distinct regions
that have their own form of speech. Most people develop their dialect by the group they
are surrounded by. Many people adjust their dialect depending on who their talking so
naturally and don’t even notice their doing it.
3. "It's Our Land. Let's Keep It That Way." Quammen's article:
Unlock document

This preview shows half of the first page of the document.
Unlock all 2 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

Monday, january 8, 2018: a little bit about myself: In general i have always prefered to work with number instead of writing but when i am writing about something that i enjoy or am interested in i enjoy it. When i do write i am not always concise but definitely coherent. When it comes to incorporating details i am fairly well at it and focusing on one topic. Since i don"t really struggle with not having enough to write about i feel like i need improvement within the quality of my writing. My writing process starts off with me outlining my essay and laying out my ideas so that i can organize them in a coherent way. In high school i wasn"t really fond of my writing classes because most of the materials that we were required to write and research was outdated and very boring so i never was engaged with my writing.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers