Premium

5 Pages

Department
Anatomy
Course Code
ANAT 101
Professor
Michael Bruneau

This preview shows pages 1-2. Sign up to view the full 5 pages of the document.
ANAT CH 11
Muscle Attachment
- Skeletal muscles make movement by exerting force on the tendons which then are attached to and
pull on bones to make movement
- When a muscle contracts, one articulate bone is drawn to the other
o One bone is stationary due to other muscles stabilizing the bone by contracting or pulling
the other way or because it has a less movable structure while the other bone moves
- Reverse muscle action (RMA): actions are reversed in the body; origin and insertion switch
Origin and Insertion
- Origin: the attachment of a muscles tendon to the stationary bone
o proximal
- Insertion: the attachment of the muscles other tendon to the movable bone
o Distal
o Pulled toward the origin
- Belly: fleshy portion of muscle between the tendons
o Ex: triceps
Lever System
- Bones are levers and joints are fulcrums
- Lever: rigid structure that can move around a fixed point (fulcrum)
o Lever is acted on by the effort (causes movement) and the load/ resistance (opposes
movement)
- Effort: force exerted by contraction
- Load: weight of body part being moved or the resistance the body part is trying to overcome
- Motion = E > Load
- Ex: bicep curl
o Elbow Is the fulcrum
o Weight of forearm + dumbbell is the load
o Force of contraction of the bicep brachii pulling the forearm up is the effort
Mechanical Advantage and Disadvantage
- Determined by the distance between the fulcrum and load and the point at which the effort is
applied
- Mechanical advantage: load is closer to fulcrum
o Small effort is required to move a large load over a small distance
- Mechanical disadvantage: load further from fulcrum and effort applied closer to fulcrum
o Large effort needed to move a small load at greater speed
Types of Levers
1) First Class
a. Fulcrum between the effort and load
b. Can make mechanical advantage or disadvantage depending on whether E or L is closer
to F
c. seesaw
2) Second class
a. Load is between the fulcrum and effort
b. Mechanical advantage
i. Load closer to fulcrum
ii. Favors force
find more resources at oneclass.com
c. Makes most force
d. Ex: calf raise
3) Third class
a. Effort between fulcrum and load
b. Mechanical disadvantage
i. Favors speed and range of motion
c. Ex: bicep curls
Fascicle Arrangement
- Muscle fibers are parallel and arranged in bundles called fascicles
- Fascicles are in different patterns w/ respect to the tendon:
o Parallel
Greater range of motion and less power
Parallel to longitudinal axis of muscle
Terminate at either end in flat tendons
Ex: sternohyloid muscle of the neck
o Fusiform (narrow ends and wide middle)
Nearly parallel
Terminate in flat tendons
Ex: digastric muscle
o Circular
Concentric circular arrangement
Form sphincter muscles
o Triangular
Spread over broad area at thick central tendon
Ex: pec major
o Pennate (feather)
Short fascicles
More power and smaller range
Unipennate:
Fascicles arranged on one side of the tendon
Bipennate:
Fascicles arranged on both sides of centrally positioned tendons
Multipennate:
Fascicles attach obliquely from many directions to several tendons
- Fascicle arrangement affects the muscles power and range of motion
o Longer fiber = greater range of motion
o More fibers per unit of cross sectional area = more power
Coordination among Muscles
- Several skeletal muscles act as a group to make movement
- Most muscles are arranged in opposing pairs at the joints
- Agonist/ prime mover: contracts to cause an action/ generates movement
- Antagonist: yields to the effect of the agonist
- Synergists: contract and stabilize intermediate joints
o Prevents unwanted movement at intermediate joints or aids movement of the prime
mover
- Fixators: stabilize the origin of the prime mover so it can act more efficiently by steadying the
proximal end while movement occurs
- Compartment: group of skeletal muscles, blood vessels and nerves

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
ANAT CH 11 Muscle Attachment - Skeletal muscles make movement by exerting force on the tendons which then are attached to and pull on bones to make movement - When a muscle contracts, one articulate bone is drawn to the other o One bone is stationary due to other muscles stabilizing the bone by contracting or pulling the other way or because it has a less movable structure while the other bone moves - Reverse muscle action (RMA): actions are reversed in the body; origin and insertion switch Origin and Insertion - Origin: the attachment of a muscles tendon to the stationary bone o proximal - Insertion: the attachment of the muscles other tendon to the movable bone o Distal o Pulled toward the origin - Belly: fleshy portion of muscle between the tendons o Ex: triceps Lever System - Bones are levers and joints are fulcrums - Lever: rigid structure that can move around a fixed point (fulcrum) o Lever is acted on by the effort (causes movement) and the load/ resistance (opposes movement) - Effort: force exerted by contraction - Load: weight of body part being moved or the resistance the body part is trying to overcome - Motion = E > Load - Ex: bicep curl o Elbow Is the fulcrum o Weight of forearm + dumbbell is the load o Force of contraction of the bicep brachii pulling the forearm up is the effort Mechanical Advantage and Disadvantage - Determined by the distance between the fulcrum and load and the point at which the effort is applied - Mechanical advantage: load is closer to fulcrum o Small effort is required to move a large load over a small distance - Mechanical disadvantage: load further from fulcrum and effort applied closer to fulcrum o Large effort needed to move a small load at greater speed Types of Levers 1) First Class a. Fulcrum between the effort and load b. Can make mechanical advantage or disadvantage depending on whether E or L is closer to F c. seesaw 2) Second class a. Load is between the fulcrum and effort b. Mechanical advantage b.i. Load closer to fulcrum b.ii. Favors force c. Makes most force d. Ex: calf raise 3) Third class a. Effort between fulcrum and load b. Mechanical disadvantage b.i. Favors speed and range of motion c. Ex: bicep curls Fascicle Arrangement - Muscle fibers are parallel and arranged in bundles called fascicles - Fascicles are in different patterns w/ respect to the tendon: o Parallel  Greater range of motion and less power  Parallel to longitudinal axis of muscle  Terminate at either end in flat tendons  Ex: sternohyloid muscle of the neck o Fusiform (narrow ends and wide middle)  Nearly parallel  Terminate in flat tendons  Ex: digastric muscle o Circular  Concentric circular arrangement  Form sphincter muscles o Triangular  Spread over broad area at thick central tendon  Ex: pec major o Pennate (feather)  Short fascicles  More power and smaller range  Unipennate:  Fascicles arranged on one side of the tendon  Bipennate:  Fascicles arranged on both sides of centrally positioned tendons  Multipennate:  Fascicles attach obliquely from many directions to several tendons - Fascicle arrangement affects the muscles power and range of motion o Longer fiber = greater range of motion o More fibers per unit of cross sectio
More Less
Unlock Document

Only pages 1-2 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit