Spring 2017

Department
Biology
Course Code
BIOLOGY 207
Professor
Manos
Lecture

This preview shows half of the first page. Sign up to view the full 2 pages of the document.
Bio 207 1/11/17
Designated slide 2tree of life
- On this tree, there is vertical descent, which means that moving from an ancestor to its
descendants, the tree splits vertically
o So “newest” species at the top, oldest ancestors at the bottom
- Branches from prokaryotes to eukaryotes demonstrates the endosymiotic theory
Slide 4
- Darwins tree of life had clear ideas of speciation as well as extinction (shown by
branches that do not make it to the top representing present time
Class details
- No cumulative final, just another hourly exam (the fourth) during finals week
- Best 10/12 quizzes kept, 20% of grade
- 80% of grade are the four exams; best is upweighted by 50%, worst is down weighted by
50%
- Use the lecture guide as a tool for studying
- Kingdoms are no longer used, now use clades and domains
-
Slide 7 Deep Time
- First 3 billion years, not much happened
- The past billion year was the one in which “everything” that we are interested in
happened
- Arrows and frowns are marking out major extinction events
o K/T boundary, most evidence for this, associated with the extinction of the
dinosaurs
o P/T boundary, apparently 95% of species on earth disappeared, and what is
interesting is that the tree of life was able to rebound
- Smaller red arrows denote major “good” events, those of great diversity
- Shark bay Australia has stromatolites which is very solid evidence for cyanobacteria at
2.7 billion years ago
Slide 9
- All plants use the same reaction for photosynthesis-this is due to cyanobacteria now
existing in plants as chloroplasts
Slide 10
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
find more resources at oneclass.com Bio 207 1/11/17 Designated slide 2—tree of life - On this tree, there is vertical descent, which means that moving from an ancestor to its descendants, the tree splits vertically o So “newest” species at the top, oldest ancestors at the bottom - Branches from prokaryotes to eukaryotes demonstrates the endosymiotic theory Slide 4 - Darwins tree of life had clear ideas of speciation as well as extinction (shown by branches that do not make it to the top representing present time Class details - No cumulative final, just another hourly exam (the fourth) during finals week - Best 10/12 quizzes kept, 20% of grade - 80% of grade are the four exams; best is upweighted by 50%, worst is down weighted by 50% - Use the lecture guide as a tool for studying - Kingdoms are no longer used, now use clades and domains - Slide 7 – Deep Time - First 3 billion years, not much happened - The past billion year was the one in which “everything” that we are interested in happened - Arrows and frowns are marking out major extinction events o K/T boundary, most evidence for this, associated with the extinction of the d
More Less
Unlock Document

Only half of the first page are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

You've reached the limit of 4 previews this month

Create an account for unlimited previews.

Already have an account?

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit