Premium

2 Pages

Department
Biology
Course Code
BIOLOGY 207
Professor
Manos

This preview shows half of the first page. Sign up to view the full 2 pages of the document.
Bio 207 Lecture 9
Photosynthesis distribution
- Can use chlorophyll a as a proxy for measuring where the most photosynthesis occurs
- Primarily see it in coastal areas, hot spots for algae
o These places tend to be rich in nutrients come up from the bottom (upwelling)
Upwelling: nutrients that are below come to the surface, causing
photosynthetic organisms to bloom and heterotrophs to grow
Ekman transport (upwelling): Prevailing winds pushes water out at a right
angle from the top, so water from the bottom comes up (79)
o Also rich in what comes out of rivers from the land massesmay be natural or
artificial such as fertilizers
I. Stramenopiles, aka heterokonts
a. Found in all three zones of the water (open ocean, shallow coastal waters, and
intertidal zones)
b. Multi and single cellular
c. When flagella are present, they have hairs on their flagella
i. This is the distinguishing derived feature for this group
d. Made up of a couple of photosynthetic organisms, but also have a protest that it
fungus-like (chitin in their cell wall, dna derived from fungi)
II. Brown Algae, called Phaeophytes
a. Multicellular, make up kelp beds, which are anchored to the bottom of the ocean
i. Form underwater forests maybe 30-40 feet long
ii. Sedentary, large-bodied organism
b. Brown because of fucoxanthins (pigment), also have chlorophylls a & c
c. Chloroplasts with 3-4 membranes
d. Structure
i. Have a blade, which is very thin, the photosynthesizing part of the organism
ii. Attached to a stipe (40ft is reasonable)
iii. Holdfast at the bottom
e. Intercalary meristem: hot spots for mitotic growth and tissue regeneration
i. Are able to persist for a long time because of this, can replace eaten/tattered
tissue because of this
f. Pneumatocysts (air bladders): filled with metabolic gases which allow them to stay
afloat
g. In order to solve the problem of distributing food to the entire organism, have tube-
like structures (sieve tubes) that spread around everywhere
i. Convergent trait to trees (Not because they are related, just solved the problem
the same way)
h. Kelp life cycle how to get this sedentary, large organism to get to a new place?
i. Two phases:
1. Has a large, sedentary phase (diploid);
a. This is the sporophyte phase
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
find more resources at oneclass.com Bio 207 Lecture 9 Photosynthesis distribution - Can use chlorophyll a as a proxy for measuring where the most photosynthesis occurs - Primarily see it in coastal areas, hot spots for algae o These places tend to be rich in nutrients come up from the bottom (upwelling)  Upwelling: nutrients that are below come to the surface, causing photosynthetic organisms to bloom and heterotrophs to grow  Ekman transport (upwelling): Prevailing winds pushes water out at a right angle from the top, so water from the bottom comes up (79) o Also rich in what comes out of rivers from the land masses—may be natural or artificial such as fertilizers I. Stramenopiles, aka heterokonts a. Found in all three zones of the water (open ocean, shallow coastal waters, and intertidal zones) b. Multi and single cellular c. When flagella are present, they have hairs on their flagella i. This is the distinguishing derived feature for this group d. Made up of a couple of photosynthetic organisms, but also have a protest that it fungus-like (chitin in their cell wall, dna derived from fungi) II. Brown Algae, called Phaeophytes a. Multicellular, make up kelp beds, which are anchored to the bottom of the ocean i. Form underwater forests maybe 30-40 feet long ii. Sedentary, large-bodied organism b. Brown because of fucoxanthins (pigment), also have chlorophylls a & c c. Chloroplasts with 3-4 membranes d. Structure i. Have a blade, which is very thin, the photosynthesizing part of the organism ii. Attached to a stipe (40ft is reasonable) iii. Holdfast at the bottom e. Intercalary meristem: hot spots for mitotic growth and tissue regeneration i. Are able to persist for a long time because of this, can replace eaten/tattered tissue because of this f. Pneumatocysts (air bladders): filled with metabolic gases which allow them to stay afloat g. In order to solve the problem of distributing food to the entire organism, have tube- like structures (sieve tubes) that spread around everywhere i. Convergent trait to trees (Not because they are related, j
More Less
Unlock Document

Only half of the first page are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit