Spring 2017

Department
Biology
Course Code
BIOLOGY 207
Professor
Manos
Lecture

This preview shows half of the first page. Sign up to view the full 2 pages of the document.
Bio 207 3/24/17
I. Phylum Ctenophora
a. Have bi-radial symmetry: not perfect radial symmetry; have rows of cilia that are radially
symmetric, but has only two tentacles
i. Part of body separated into right and left, rest radially symmetry
ii. Cnideria have true radial symmetry, so arose after ctenophore branch
b. Apomorphy: shared derived character
i. Bilateral symmetry is an example of this in the tree on slide 73, as anthozoa,
scyphozoan and hydrozoa which branch after ctenophora branch off
c. Have no cnidocysts
d. Holopelagic life cycle: no benthic phase
e. Have external fertilization
f. Choanoflagellida are outside animal kingdom but from them the porifera branches off, and
the next branch is the ctenophore
II. Phylum Platyhelminthes (flatworms)
a. Have bilateral symmetry: only one plane down which an organism can be cut in order to
get two mirror images
b. Move forward (which cannot exist for a radial organism), encounter environment with
same part of their body, this is a result of bilateral symmetry
i. Move via a set of cilia, though some swim
c. Class Turbellia
d. Free-living flatworms can be benthic or pelagic, they have also invaded land successfully
(but rare)
e. What we owe to flatworms:
i. Bilateral symmetry and forward movement
ii. Every organ system (except for one) that humans have
iii. Internal fertilization
f. Important consequence of bilaterality forward movement having a brain
i. For radial symmetry, cannot have all intelligence concentrated in one place
ii. Based on this theory, if an organism with forward movement became sessile, it
would lose its brain
g. Class Acoela: most primitive, basic flatworms that lack an excretory system
h. Has 3 embryonic layers, whereas porifera and cnidaria only had two
i. Ectoderm: epidermis and nerves, muscles
ii. Endoderm: makes digestive system, muscles also
iii. Mesoderm: novel layer for Platyhelminthes, so free to produce new cell types,
tissues and organs
i. The organ grade of organization: multiple cell types and tissues build a complex organ,
organs all come from mesoderm except brain and eyes (from ectodermal)
j. Excretory system comes from Mesoderm: allows organisms to get rid of waste without
relying on diffusion
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Bio 207 32417 I. Phylum Ctenophora a. Have biradial symmetry: not perfect radial symmetry; have rows of cilia that are radially symmetric, but has only two tentacles i. Part of body separated into right and left, rest radially symmetry ii. Cnideria have true radial symmetry, so arose after ctenophore branch b. Apomorphy: shared derived character i. Bilateral symmetry is an example of this in the tree on slide 73, as anthozoa, scyphozoan and hydrozoa which branch after ctenophora branch off c. Have no cnidocysts d. Holopelagic life cycle: no benthic phase e. Have external fertilization f. Choanoflagellida are outside animal kingdom but from them the porifera branches off, and the next branch is the ctenophore II. Phylum Platyhelminthes (flatworms) a. Have bilateral symmetry: only one plane down which an organism can be cut in order to get two mirror images b. Move forward (which cannot exist for a radial organism), encounter environment with same part of their body, this is a result of bilateral symmetry i. Move via a set of cilia, though some swim c. Class Turbellia d. Freeliving flatworms can be benthic or pelagic, they have also invaded land successfully (but rare) e. What we owe to flatworms: i. Bilateral symmetry and forward movement ii. Every organ system (except for one) that humans have iii. Internal fertilization f. Important consequence of bilaterality forward movement having a brain i. For radial symmetry, cannot have all intelligence concentrated in one place ii. Based on this theory, if an organism with forward movement became sessile, it would lose its brain g. Class Acoela: most primitive, basic flatworms that lack an excretory system h. Has 3 embryonic layers, whereas porifera and cnidaria only had two i. Ectoderm: epidermis and nerves, muscles ii. Endoderm: makes digestive system, muscles also iii. Mesoderm: novel layer for Platyhelminthes, so free to produce new cell types, tissues and organs i. The organ grade of organization: multiple cell types and tissues build a complex organ, organs all come from mesoderm except brain and eyes (from ectodermal) j. Excretory system comes from Mesoderm: allows organisms to get rid of waste without relying on diffusion
More Less
Unlock Document

Only half of the first page are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

You've reached the limit of 4 previews this month

Create an account for unlimited previews.

Already have an account?

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit