Spring 2017

Department
Biology
Course Code
BIOLOGY 321
Professor
Dr.Drea
Lecture

This preview shows pages 1-2. Sign up to view the full 5 pages of the document.
Primate Sexuality
Continuation of Lecture on Male Anatomy…
I. Evolution of Male Genetalia
a. Lock and key hypothesis: specialized structures as a species isolating mechanism; enables
a “proper fit” so that species can’t incorrectly mate
b. Genitalic recognition hypothesis: fertilization occurs only if appropriate copulatory
stimulation; the F regonizes the M
i. This might be important with closely related subspecies
c. Pleiotropism: control of several phenotypic features by single gene aka a side effect,
accident of evolution
d. Mechanical conflict of interest: structures are necessary to bypass female barriers
i. If female evolves longer reproductive tract for cryptic choice, a male has to evolve
a longer penis
ii. Male structures imposed upon them by selection from female anatomy
e. Sexual selection:
i. F choice (internal courtship device)
ii. M-M competition: penile morphology may contribute to improved sperm
competition (especially penile spines)
II. Sexual Selection of Penile Morphology
a. Is bigger better? it depends
i. When M-M physical competition is important, body size is much more dimorphic;
when there is less outward aggression, testes and penile size are greater
b. Female view of males:
c. Penile Morphology & Mating Systems:
i. When females are more monogamous and polygamous, tned to see:
1. Smaller, shorter penis
2. Unspecialized/adorned penis
3. Copulate less often maintain erection less frequently smaller
bulbocavernosus muscle
4. Ejaculate less often semen produced in smaller volume, smaller less
elaborate seminal vesicles
ii. MM MF, Dispersed:
1. Elongated penis
2. Lots of specializations
3. Copulate often larger BC muscle
4. Intromission maintained post ejaculation aka literally keep penis in
longer, need longer erection os penis
5. Ejaculate often more semen larger, more lobulated seminal vesicles
Female Reproductive System (women as example)
- Simians: single chambered uterus, prosimians: y-shaped or bicornuated uterus
o Related to type of placentation and number of offspring
find more resources at oneclass.com
I. Functions
a. Ovaries
i. Production of f reproductive cells, oogenesis
ii. F horomone production (estrogen & progesterone): involved in secondary sex
character
1. males also have these, but in lower quantities
2. function as an endocrine gland
b. Uterus
i. Reproduction:
1. conduit for sperm transport
2. site for implantation of fertilized ova
3. placentation
4. growth and development of fetus
5. parturition: birth
c. vagina:
i. receptacle: receiving penis and sperm
II. Female Pubertal Changes
a. Secondary Sex character
i. Growth of reproductive organs, menstrual cycle
ii. Behavior: nurturing
iii. Breast development
iv. Female body form: rounded hourglass
v. Hair distribution pattern
b. All due to the distribution of estrogen target cells throughout body
III. Internal Reproductive Organs
a. Uterus: above and behind bladder; thick walled, muscular, 7.5cm long
i. Capable of incredible expansion due to smooth muscle lining the uterus
ii. Cause orgasm (helps propel sperm), cramps (sheeding
b. Ovaries: 3 cm long, just above the uterus, a pair
i. Basically a mass of oocytesthe cells from which eggs develop
ii. Held in place by ligaments
c. Vagina: often differentiated between lower and upper part
d. Fallopian tube or oviduct: link the ovaries to the uterus
e. Fimbria: at the end of the oviducts, finger-like projections that come into close contact
with the overus in order to help coerce the eggs into the oviduct
f. The opening into oviduct is the ostium; lined with cilia to propel the egg into oviduct
i. It is possible for the egg to NOT end up in the oviduct
ii. This plus fimbria are structures to help “catch” the egg, forms a wider, open end
g. Isthmus: thin proximal end of the oviduct
h. Uterotubual junction: where the oviduct meets the uterus
i. Very narrow and convoluted
ii. An area/roadblock for a female to block sperm
i. Endometrium: lining layer of the uterus

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
find more resources at oneclass.com Primate Sexuality Continuation of Lecture on Male Anatomy… I. Evolution of Male Genetalia a. Lock and key hypothesis: specialized structures as a species isolating mechanism; enables a “proper fit” so that species can’t incorrectly mate b. Genitalic recognition hypothesis: fertilization occurs only if appropriate copulatory stimulation; the F regonizes the M i. This might be important with closely related subspecies c. Pleiotropism: control of several phenotypic features by single gene  aka a side effect, accident of evolution d. Mechanical conflict of interest: structures are necessary to bypass female barriers i. If female evolves longer reproductive tract for cryptic choice, a male has to evolve a longer penis ii. Male structures imposed upon them by selection from female anatomy e. Sexual selection: i. F choice (internal courtship device) ii. M-M competition: penile morphology may contribute to improved sperm competition (especially penile spines) II. Sexual Selection of Penile Morphology a. Is bigger better? – it depends i. When M-M physical competition is important, body size is much more dimorphic; when there is less outward aggression, testes and penile size are greater b. Female view of males: c. Penile Morphology & Mating Systems: i. When females are more monogamous and polygamous, tned to see: 1. Smaller, shorter penis 2. Unspecialized/adorned penis 3. Copulate less often maintain erection less frequently  smaller bulbocavernosus muscle 4. Ejaculate less often  semen produced in smaller volume, smaller less elaborate seminal vesicles ii. MM MF, Dispersed: 1. Elongated penis 2. Lots of specializations 3. Copulate often  larger BC muscle 4. Intromission maintained post ejaculation  aka literally keep penis in longer, need longer erection  os penis 5. Ejaculate often  more semen larger, more lobulated seminal vesicles Female Reproductive System (women as example) - Simians: single chambered uterus, prosimians: y-shaped or bicornuated uterus o Related to type of placentation and number of offspring find more resources at oneclass.com find more resources at oneclass.com I. Functions a. Ovaries i. Production of f reproductive cells, oogenesis ii. F horomone production (estrogen & progesterone): involved in secondary sex character 1. males also have these, but in lower quantities 2. function as an endocrine gland b. Uterus i. Reproduction: 1. conduit for sperm transport 2. site for implantation of fertilized ova 3. placentation 4. growth and development of fetus 5. parturition: birth c. vagina: i. receptacle: receiving penis and sperm II. Female Pubertal Changes a. Secondary Sex character i. Growth of reproductive organs, menstrual cycle ii. Behavior: nurturing iii. Breast development iv. Female body form: rounded hourglass v. Hair distribution pattern b. All due to the distribution of estrogen target cells throughout body III. Internal Reproductive Organs a. Uterus: above and behind bladder; thick walled, muscular, 7.5cm long i. Capable of incredible expansion due to smooth muscle lining the uterus ii. Cause orgasm (helps propel sperm), cramps (sheeding b. Ovaries: 3 cm long, just above the uterus, a pair i. Basically a mass of oocytes—the cells from which eggs develop ii. Held in place by ligaments c. Vagina: often differentiated between lower and upper part d. Fallopian tube or oviduct: link the ovaries to the uterus e. Fimbria: at the end of the oviducts, finger-like projections that come into close contact with the overus in order to help coerce the eggs into the oviduct f. The opening into oviduct is the ostium; lined with cilia to propel the egg into oviduct i. It is possible for the egg to NOT end up in the oviduct ii. This plus fimbria are structures to help “catch” the egg, forms a wider, open end g. Isthmus: thin proximal end of the oviduct h. Uterotubual junction: where the oviduct meets the uterus i. Very narrow and convoluted ii. An area/roadblock for a female to block sperm i. Endometrium: lining layer of the uterus find more resources at oneclass.com find more resources at oneclass.com i. Layer that is shed during menstruation ii. Basal layer to regenerate the shed layer j. Cervix: i. Small muscular ring at the end where the uterus enters the vagina ii. Has cervical folds and crypts, clefts and tunn
More Less
Unlock Document

Only pages 1-2 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

You've reached the limit of 4 previews this month

Create an account for unlimited previews.

Already have an account?

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit