PHILO-120 Lecture Notes - Lecture 9: Mimesis, Oligarchy, Third Man Argument

19 views3 pages
17 Sep 2020
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

This exercise is also of the greatest benefit, since it enables the mind to distinguish without difficulty what belongs to itself, i. e. to an intellectual nature, from what belongs to the body (vii 12). First mediation: reject beliefs that are not epistemically certain. Second mediation: uncover beliefs that are epistemically certain. An epistemically certain beliefs on which the epistemic certainty of other beliefs can be founded. I think there for i am: i am, i exist is necessarily true whenever it is put forward by me or conceived in my mind. Tyranny: dominated by utterly lawless erotic love. Difference between pain, pleasure, and state of feeling neither pleasure nor pain (583b2-588a9) One of themes in book ten: mimesis: imitation. According to plato, there are four unjust states. This number of unjust states is determined empirically, on the basis of a consideration of extant states. Forms in particular and universals generally ground and explain relations of identity and resemblance among individuals.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers