● A type of art relying on video/audio data focused on moving art.
● Not to be confused with television or experimental film.
● When the Sony Portapak, video art comes about.
● Named after the video tape (which sets it apart from experimental film).
● Tapes are most commonly used in video art’s early years.
● As technology moves forward (DVD), video art moves forward with the still magnetic
signals of video.
● The very first beginning of video art is considered in 1958 with Wolfgang Vostell.
● 1958: Wolfgang Vostell incorporates a television set into one of his works. Utilizing the
image of the television in the Smauling Gallery in New York. First use of video in a
● Nam June Paik has first exhibition with manipulated television in 1963. Uses Portapak
to shoot Pope Paul VI’s travel through the city. Goes and messes with tape in cafe that
● Fred Forest also follows the use of the Portapak.
● Some argue that Andy Warhol started Undergroun