Spring 2018

Department
Anthropology
Course Code
ANT 101
Professor
Nilsson- Stutz Liv
Lecture

This preview shows half of the first page. Sign up to view the full 2 pages of the document.
Layan Ibrahim
Anthropology 101
Mon/Wed/Fri 10:00 10:50 am
Dr. Liv Nilsson Stutz
Wednesday, 4/04/18
1 out of 2 Pages
Culture and Language Acquisition:
Culture starts at birth
Learning a language is deeply connected to learning how to be a competent member of
society
The process of becoming a competent member of society is realized to a large extent
through language
All children become members of their social group
o The process of becoming a member of the social group, and a language user, is
culturally constructed
o The way we talk about things is culturally loaded
Language is socializing
o The way you change your way of speaking in different settings
E.g. You and your friends vs. you and your professor
Connecting with friends through jokes, informality, slang etc.
o A language changes the way you process things
o Code switching some words are not able to be translated from one language to
another
o Vulgarity in language that is not your first language
Because of proximity impact is not as close
o Geography, class, ethnicity plays a role in language
E.g. “ya’ll” in the South vs. not being used in the North
People viewed less educated because of their accent
o Gender plays a role
Men and women don’t talk the same way
Women are more apologetic, reserved, timid. While men are the
opposite
o We make associations, we classify, and we project value this is how we operate
culturally
o Different generations speaking the same language differently
o Media plays a role in imitating a language usually just happens
When you learn a language you simultaneously learn a culture
The way we speak and encounter really young children
Children learn very early
Cultural differences in language acquisition
o Language learning does not follow a “hardwired” biological program…
o Culture shapes what a child learns
Does the parent adapt the situation to the child (and her babbling)?
Or must the child adapt?
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
1 Layan Ibrahim Anthropology 101 Mon/Wed/Fri 10:00 10:50 am Dr. Liv Nilsson Stutz Wednesday, 4/04/18 1 out of 2 Pages Culture and Language Acquisition: Culture starts at birth Learning a language is deeply connected to learning how to be a competent member of society The process of becoming a competent member of society is realized to a large extent through language All children become members of their social group o The process of becoming a member of the social group, and a language user, is culturally constructed o The way we talk about things is culturally loaded Language is socializing o The way you change your way of speaking in different settings E.g. You and your friends vs. you and your professor Connecting with friends through jokes, informality, slang etc. o A language changes the way you process things o Code switching some words are not able to be translated from one language to another o Vulgarity in language that is not your first language Because of proximity impact is not as close o Geography, class, ethnicity plays a role in language E.g. yall in the South vs. not being used in the North People viewed less educated because of their accent o Gender plays a role Men and women dont talk the same way Women are more apologetic, reserved, timid. While men are the opposite o We make associations, we classify, and we project value this is how we operate culturally o Different generations speaking the same language differently o Media plays a role in imitating a language usually just happens When you learn a language you simultaneously learn a culture The way we speak and encounter really young children Children learn very early Cultural differences in language acquisition o Language learning does not follow a hardwired biological program o Culture shapes what a child learns Does the parent adapt the situation to the child (and her babbling)? Or must the child adapt? 2 What we often think about as instinctual is in fact, learned o E.g. the way we talk to babies How we talk to children is culturally shaped o Parent adapts to baby and facilitates creates a PROTOCONVERSATION with her o The conversation usually involves the child + one interactor. It is dyadic and turn- taking o The child is at the center. The adult lowers the level and imagines a higher level for the child (masking incompetence) o The infant is treated as a social being, as a communicative partner Imagining that you are facilitating this conversation Papa New Guinea o Kaluli: Mother does not make eye contact, but she stages conversations for and about the baby, whenever older children and adults are around. This is not a dyadic relationship The helpless child is assisted by the mother in the important task of verbal communication: creating triadic conversations in particular to help form a bond of older child to the baby The child is considered helpless versus the typical Western culture of being incompetent Child has no understanding so the mother does not pretend to translate a desire or need. You never say what somebody else is thinking or feeling The child as a non-communicative partner. But the child still learns since (s)he is surrounded by talk by many different people and this talk is not adapted: The attitudes change when the child starts to utter intentional words A straight talk society. No gossip. Egalita
More Less
Unlock Document

Only half of the first page are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

You've reached the limit of 4 previews this month

Create an account for unlimited previews.

Already have an account?

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit