PHIL 100 Lecture Notes - Lecture 11: Cogito Ergo Sum

20 views1 pages
2 Nov 2018
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

63-69: what has descartes found to be indubitable or cannot be doubted and how? (cid:862)"i am, i exist" is necessarily true every time i utter it or conceive it(cid:863) Cogito ergo sum: (cid:862)i think therefore i a(cid:373)(cid:863) knows he exists and that he is a thinking thing sensing is what a thinking thing does. Cogito has features that his science must have (has self-evidence, clearness, and distinctness, that which is immediate, and that which is non-inferential) truth comes in form of self-evidence. Characteristic features of that which is indubitable are has self-evidence, clearness, and distinctness, that which is immediate, and that which is non-inferential. He is a thing that thinks- thinking is key to existence. A thinking thing gives a catalogue of mental acts so a thinking thing is one that doubts, that understands, that affirms (to say yes to something), denies, wills, refuses, imagines, doubts, senses. Mind: has a principle (essential) attribute thought (a certain kind of substance)

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers