ENG 2001 Lecture Notes - Lecture 4: Dependent Clause, Independent Clause, Semicolon

27 views2 pages
18 Dec 2016
School
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Ic; transitive expression; ic (ic = independent clause; cc= coordinating conjunction (for, and, nor, but, or, yet, so)) Independent clause: expresses a complete thought and can stand by itself in a sentence. An independent clause by itself is a sentence. Subordinate clause: does not express a complete thought and cannot stand alone in a sentence. The meaning of a subordinate clause is complete only when the clause is attached to an independent clause. Subordinate clauses can be located at the beginning, middle, or end of a sentence. Subordinate clauses usually begin with: whom, because, that. Examples: whom i introduced to mrs. halsey. We had a visitor from vero whom i introduced to mrs. halsey: because mom needed more space. Because mom needed more space, we moved into a bigger house. that she liked. Caroline found a leather jacket that she liked and pointed it out to kat. Identify if the clause is subordinate or independent; s or i.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers