MGF 1107 Lecture Notes - Lecture 2: United States Customary Units
2 views2 pages
Pre-Class Assignment 2A/2B
Read through sections 2A and 2B in your book and answer the following questions.
a) unit – describes what the quantity measures or counts.
b) unit analysis – is the process of working with units to help solve problems.
2) Why do you think we need units when keeping track of real-life numbers?
We need them while keeping track of real-life numbers, because we need to have an
organized way of counting and measuring various types of quantities. As we know,
having things organized is always the best, and that’s why units are so important.
3) What does the word ‘per’ imply in mathematical problems?
The word ‘per’ in mathematical problems imply dividing/division.
4) What does the word ‘of’ imply in mathematical problems?
The words ‘of’ implies multiplications (multiply numbers).
5) Give one example from the US customary system and the international metric system
for the measurements in the following chart.
US CUSTOMARY SYSTEM
INTERNATIONAL METRIC SYSTEM
6) List 2 units/rates that you personally come across in every day life (ie. dollars per pound)
a) Miles per hour