BSC 2085 Lecture 17: anatomy exam 4

12 Pages

Department
Biological Science
Course Code
BSC-2085
Professor
Yung Su

This preview shows pages 1-2 and half of page 3. Sign up to view the full 12 pages of the document.

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
ANATOMY EXAM 4 Lesson 17 the spinal cord and spinal nerves 1. Spinal Cord 18 inches long inch wide Ends btwn L1 and L2 vertebrae Bilateral symmetry gray matter surrounded by white matter Grooves divide spine into left right Posterior median sulcus posterior side Anterior median fissure deeper groove on anterior side Enlargements of spine caused by amt. Of gray matter in segment (more gray mat. Since more cells in these areas) involved w sensory and motor nerves of limbs cervical enlargement nerves of shoulders and upper limbs (around c6 level) lumbar enlargement nerves of pelvis lower limbs (around T11 level) distal ends Conus medullaris thin, conical cord below lumbar enlargment Filium Terminale thin thread of fibrous tissue at end of conus medullaris, attaches to coccygeal ligament, provides longitudinal support to spine Cauda equina nerve roots (ventral and dorsal) extending below conus medullaris and into sacrum 31 spinal cord segments based on vertebrae where spinal nerves originate positions of spinal segment vertebrae change with age (as vertebral column grows, dorsal ventral roots elongate) cervical nerves named for inferior vertebrae (nerve exits under vertebra it is named after) except cervical nerve 8 because it DOES NOT exist ALL other nerves named for superior vertebra Roots two branches of spinal nerves ventral root contains axons of motor neurons (somatic visceral effectors) dorsal root contains axons of sensory neurons (somatic visceral receptors) dorsal root ganglia contains cell bodies of sensory neurons cell bodies of motor neurons that extend axons through the ventral root are located in the gray matter of spine Spinal nerve each side of spine dorsal and ventral roots join to form a spinal nerve Mixed nerves carry both afferent (sensory) and efferent (motor) fibers Spinal meninges specialized membranes isolate spinal cord from surroundings continuous with cranial meninges
More Less
Unlock Document

Only pages 1-2 and half of page 3 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit