Classics
Course
CLT 3370
Professor
Timothy Stover
Semester
Fall

Description
The 12 Olympians, Part 2 1. Children of Zeus and Hera a. Eileithyia, Hebe, Hephaestus, and Ares b. Eileithyia (Roman Lucina) i. Name comes from Greek verb meaning ‘to arrive’ ii. Goddess of childbirth iii. Her mythology is not well developed 1. Her name is sometimes simply a title for Hera and Artemis c. Hebe i. Goddess of youth (Her name means ‘youth.’) ii. Cup bearer for socials on Olympus iii. Eventual wife of Heracles. d. Hephaestus (Vulcan) i. Etymology of Greek name is unknown; the word Vulcan is of Etruscan origin ii. God of crafts, metal working, and fire; a divine craftsman iii. Often said to have workshops in volcanic mountains 1. Aided by the 3 Cyclopes iv. Was lame from birth (arsenicosis?) v. Often depicted with tools vi. Married to Aphrodite vii. Thrown from Olympus by Zeus (Iliad) 1. Story amuses gods, calms tensions viii. Hephaestus, Aphrodite, and Ares (Odyssey) e. Ares / Mars i. Etymology of Greek name uncertain, but is related to arête, ‘manly excellence’; the root in the Latin name means ‘to glim
More Less

Related notes for CLT 3370

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit