Classics
Course
CLT 3370
Professor
Timothy Stover
Semester
Fall

Description
The Trojan Saga 1. The Children of Leda a. Leda and the swan (Zeus) i. Castor and Polydeuces (Pollux) ii. Clytemnestra and Helen 1. Clytemnestra marries Agamemnon 2. Helen marries Menelaus 2. Helen, Menelaus, and Paris a. Helen and Menelaus i. The Oath of the Suitors b. The Judgment of Paris i. Marriage of Peleus and Thetis ii. Eris (goddess of strife) and the ‘apple of discord’ iii. Paris bribes goddesses iv. Paris seduces or abducts Helen 1. Violation of xenia (guest-host relationship) 2. Leads to war 3. The Trojan War a. Causes i. The abduction of Helen 1. The ‘face that launched a thousand ships’ ii. Overpopulation of earth 1. According to a now lost epic poem, the Cypria a. NB the ‘Epic cycle’, series of epics dealing with every phase of the war in Troy, known only through prose summaries and fragments b. Homeric epics a part of this cycle b. Principal characters: i. Trojans (aka Dardanians and Teucrians) 1. Priam, king of Troy 2. Hector 3. Paris (aka Alexander) 4. Aeneas a. Hero of Vergil’s Aeneid ii. The Greeks (aka Achaeans) 1. Agamemnon, king of Mycenae, leader of allied forces 2. Menelaus, king of Sparta, brother of Agamemnon, spurned husband of Helen 3. Diomedes, king of Argos a. Famous aristeia (scene of excellence in battle) in book 5 of Iliad i. Wounds of Ares and Aphrodite 4. Ajax, king of Salamis a. Often called Telamonian Ajax 5. Odysseus, king of Ithaca a. Hero of
More Less

Related notes for CLT 3370

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit