CLT 3370 (16)
Lecture 5

Lecture 5--Creation in Ovid.docx

4 Pages
Unlock Document

Florida State University
CLT 3370
Elizabeth Richey

Creation in Ovid a. Ovid’s Metamorphoses i. Roman poet Ovid (43 BC – AD 17) ii. Augustus (Octavian)—lived under the rule of  1. 43 BC: Second Triumvirate: when Octavian really rose to power 2. 31 BC: Battle of Actium 3. 27 BC – AD 14: Rule of Augustus 4. AD 8: Metamorphoses begun (“transformations”):most  important because it is a poem about any of the myths where anyone is  transformed to anything else 5. AD 8: Exile to Tomis a. “carmen et error”: was exiled by a common error—one  theory that he made up having to go into exile b. Ars Amatoria: racy poem that teaches men how to have  affairs with married women c. Criticism of Augustus: criticized Augustus so he was  exiled b. Roman Gods i. Identified by Romans with Greek gods: Romans believed that there  gods were the same gods as the Greek gods ii. Not the same as Greek gods: always conceptualized their gods with the  Greek gods iii. 12 gods (Dii Consentes = Council of the Gods): like the Olympians­­ iv. God­goddess pairs v. Jupiter/Jove and Juno: Zeus and Hera vi. Neptune and Minerva vii. Mars and Venus viii. Apollo and Diana/Phoebe ix. Vulcan and Vesta: no relationship—just though of as aways together/  Hephaestus and Hestia x. Mercury and Ceres c. Creation in the Metamorphoses i. Ovid’s five creation myths 1. Creator God (Fabricator): says the universe was created by a  single person—creator god just made humans 2. Prometheus: also says he make humans 3. Myth of the Ages: never really said that there was a new race of  human made 4. Giants: says that humans were created from the bodies of slain  giants 5. Earth as creator: humans were born of the earth ii. Myth variants iii. Stoic, Epicurean philosophy iv. Focus on humans v. Transformation = creation d. Creation Myth 1: the Fabricator i. Chaos = disorder ii. Elements of cosmos: cold, hot, wet, dry, soft, hard iii. Atoms (“seeds of things”) iv. Unnamed creator god brings order v. Cosmos 1. Aether 2. Air 3. Earth 4. Water 5. Rivers, seas, mountains, climate zones, winds vi. creation of humans 1. from divine elements e. Creation Myth 2: Prometheus i. “son of Iapetus” ii. earth + water iii. humans made in gods’ image: at this points it seems as though there are  other gods, but Ovid just hasn’t mentioned the other gods or Roman dieties iv. humans able to look up: so they’re able to learn about astronomy f. Creation Myth 3: Myth of the Ages i. Golden Age 1. lacks evils of modern Roman world 2. no laws, no wars 3. rule of Saturn (Kronos) 4. Augustan propaganda a. Ara Pacis Augustae, 9 BC 5. fertility of earth ii. Silver Age 1. rule of Jupiter 2. order = suffering for humans: humans will actually have to work  to provide for themselves. It becomes apparent that the world does not  provide f
More Less

Related notes for CLT 3370

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.