History
Course
AMH 2097
Professor
Jonathan Sheppard
Semester
Fall

Description
The Chinese 1. Origins a. First Wave Immigrants i. 1849-1880 1. 300,000 came to USA during that time ii. West coast migrants iii. 400 million people in China during this time iv. Most are from Guandong Province (95%-96%) 1. Very familiar with Europeans and Whites a. Had contact since the 1600s 2. Most Chinese in this region are poor farmers 3. Population density in 1840-1850: 1000 people per square mile a. Not a lot of land for farming i. Even during its best years, Guandong had to import rice 2. Push Factors a. Crop failure i. Not enough land ii. Primitive agricultural practices iii. Inevitable river flooding destroyed crops every few years b. Tsunamis i. Two major tsunamis during the 1850s 1. Unthinkable damage ii. Further hurt an already weakened economy 1. Also hit European traders in area iii. We don’t even know when exactly they hit because of poor record keeping c. Clan conflict i. Societal structure ii. Emperor 1. Supported and affiliated with certain clans 2. Taxed clans iii. Punti-Hakka Clan War – Taishan 1. 1855-1867 2. Killed each other on battlefield and left people to starve, get disease iv. Hundreds of thousands of people died d. Taiping Rebellion i. Taiping – “Great Heaven Kingdom” ii. Lead by Chinese Christians, and a man who was convinced that he was Jesus’s brother iii. Wanted equality and more freedoms in China iv. 1850-1864
More Less

Related notes for AMH 2097

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit