History
Course
AMH 2097
Professor
Jonathan Sheppard
Semester
Fall

Description
The First Americans 1. Beringia – The Land Bridge a. First Americans arrived in north America 20,000 years ago i. “Clovis Hunters” 1. Named so because of stone arrowheads found near New Mexico 2. Hunter/gatherers a. Main diet of meat, supplemented by berries b. Hunted animals once native to America to extinction (horses, camels) i. Used all parts of animal ii. Crossed 600 mile wide land bridge where the Bering Sea is today 1. “Beringia” iii. Many settled where New Mexico is today in lush grasslands b. Earth was much cooler so glaciers stretched all across Canada and down into modern day US i. World’s ocean levels dropped due to freeze 2. Agricultural Revolution a. Began in about 3000 BC around where Mexico City is today b. Allowed humans to form permanent villages c. Survived on beans, corn, and squash d. Did not reach “Midwest” until 200 AD 1. Anasazi was the first tribe to use agriculture in the US a. Lived near the “four corners” b. Built miles of irrigation systems c. Built cities into the side of mountains to take refuge from attacking tribes in search of their food d. Developed trade networks with other tribes from California to the Mississippi e. 1250 AD: a drought in New Mexico that lasted for years killed off many crops while sapping nutrients from soil i. Left cliff cities and moved into smaller town around present-day Arizona f. Tak
More Less

Related notes for AMH 2097

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit