History (251)
AMH 2097 (110)

Intro To Terms And Concepts.docx

4 Pages
Unlock Document

Florida State University
AMH 2097
Jonathan Sheppard

Intro To Terms And Concepts1 Nationality a A Persons nationality is where they retain citizenship 2 Race a The assumption of innate differences based on real or imagined physical characteristics thb Johan BlumenbachGerman scholar in late 18 century 1795 that believed Caucasian people of Russia were superior c Susan Phippssued Louisiana in 1980s to have her racial classification changed from black to white lost the case i Louisianaone drop of nonwhite blood classifies you as African ii Up until 1960s70s blood of different races were kept separate 3 Ethnicity a Shared categorization of people based on factors like shared cultural values nationality language religion and gender roles b Comes from Greek root word ethos meaning nation c English used it to determine who was Christian and who was heathen thd US changed definition in late 19 century due to immigration e You choose your ethnicity 4 Racial Hierarchy a Europeans put themselves at the top of the chain b Costas painting 5 Racialization a The ranking of races according to the dominant group b Started by Thomas Jefferson i Wrote Notes on the State of Virginia 1 Believed African slaves to be lesser people but we will not be able to know this until science gives us the answers ii Believed science could answer anything including race 1 Southern slaveholders were hoping that science could justify slavery c Josiah NottSamuel Morton i Mortonscientist from Philadelphia 1 Collected skulls from all over the globe measured volume 2 Decided that because Caucasian skulls had the most volume they were the smarter people ii Nottscientist from Mobile 1 Because of the way skulls were shaped all races other than white were essentially a different species 2 If Caucasians and other races marry it is bestiality
More Less

Related notes for AMH 2097

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.