PHI-2630 Lecture Notes - Lecture 11: Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc, Ad Hominem, Hate Speech

82 views7 pages
27 Oct 2016
School
Department
Course

Document Summary

Section a (reasoning errors/fallacies 10 mc questions) Fallacy of majority belief: most people believe it, so it"s probably true. Fallacy of common practice: most people do it, so it"s probably okay. Ad hominem: if you"re losing an argument, you attack the person"s character rather than examine and assess their evidences. Ad hominem circumstantial: rather than attacking their character, you attack their circumstances rather than examine and assess their evidences. False dilemma: you either love the president, or you hate america. Slippery slope fallacy: if we allow gay marriage, we"ll soon allow marriage to pets, then marrying inanimate objects will become compulsory and any other form of love will be banned. Post hoc ergo propter hoc: mistaking correlation with causation. Just because b follows a, a must cause b. Straw man: i don"t know how to respond to your argument, but i can respond to a much worse version of your argument which i can then attribute to you.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers