Psychology
Course
PSB 2000
Professor
Stacey Mc Callister
Semester
Fall

Description
Cells of the Nervous System 1. Human nervous system two kinds of cells a. Neurons i. Transmit info b. Glia 2. Human brain: ~100 billion individual neurons 3. Ratio of neurons to glia is 1:8 4. Cerebral cortex and associated areas: 12-15 billion neurons 5. Cerebellum: 6. The Structures of an animal cell: a. Nucleus: DNA b. Mitochondria: energy maker c. Ribosomes: makes new proteins d. ER: thin tubes that modify and transport protein e. Golgi: f. Plasma Membrane: 7. Cell membrane: a. Phospholipid bilayer i. 2 layers of fat molecules that are free to float around one another b. Semipermeable i. H20, 02, C02 move freely 8. The Structure of a Neuron a. Neurons similar to rest of the body’s cells! 9. Neuron: Specialized Shape a. DRAP – Dendrites receive, axons pass b. Oligodendrocyte (CNS), Schwann cell (PNS) are both Glial c. Axons have myelin sheath d. Any neuron can have as many dendrites as it wants, but only one axon 10. Neuron Types a. Motor neuron i. Soma: spinal cord ii. Terminals: muscles iii. Affects people with ALS b. Sensory neuron i. Soma: dorsal root ganglion (DRG ii. Terminals: spinal cord 11. Glia (“glue”) a. Many types and functions b. Does NOT transmit data
More Less

Related notes for PSB 2000

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit