SYG-1000 Lecture 37: syg lec 37

28 views2 pages
School
Department
Course
Husad’s Houseork
This pattern (concave association) is generally prevalent among married men in all income
groups.
Circumstances that have a particularly strong effect on making dependent husbands resist
doing housework are...
Men in low income households
Men who are dependent as a result of long term unemployment, or prolonged
joblessness
Women & Housework: Strikingly Linear Negative Relationship between providership &
housework time. Graph 10
Wies’ Houseork
As wives transition into proverdership roles they reduce their housework time.
Some modest evidence for gender display by some women, but it is not statistically significant.
Whih theories eplais ies’ ad husads’ houseork tie alloatio?
Men As they become more dependent on their wives they reduce their housework time
Women As they become the provider they reduce their housework time
So which theory is validated?
Economic theory
Gender display theory
Dependency theory
Different theories (processes), rather than the sae theor, eplais ies’ ad husads’
housework time allocation:
Married women & men respond quite differently to providership & dependency
KEY!!!!!
***Wives’ response is consistent with dependency theory: the more dependent they are on
their husad’s ioe the more housework they do and the converse
***Husbands’ response is consistent with gender display theory: the more dependent they are
o their ife’s ioe the less housework they do
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows half of the first page of the document.
Unlock all 2 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

This pattern (concave association) is generally prevalent among married men in all income groups. Circumstances that have a particularly strong effect on making dependent husbands resist doing housework are Men who are dependent as a result of long term unemployment, or prolonged joblessness. Women & housework: strikingly linear negative relationship between providership & housework time. As wives transition into proverdership roles they reduce their housework time. Some modest evidence for gender display by some women, but it is not statistically significant. Men as they become more dependent on their wives they reduce their housework time. Women as they become the provider they reduce their housework time. Different theories (processes), rather than the sa(cid:373)e theor(cid:455), e(cid:454)plai(cid:374)s (cid:449)i(cid:448)es" a(cid:374)d hus(cid:271)a(cid:374)ds" housework time allocation: Married women & men respond quite differently to providership & dependency. ***wives" response is consistent with dependency theory: the more dependent they are on their hus(cid:271)a(cid:374)d"s i(cid:374)(cid:272)o(cid:373)e the more housework they do and the converse.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers